State Chapters > NY/NJ

The sleeper Senate race in New Jersey just became an election to watch

(1/2) > >>

mystery-ak:
The sleeper Senate race in New Jersey just became an election to watch
by Philip Wegmann
 | August 22, 2018 02:44 PM

New Jersey hasn’t sent a Republican to the Senate since the Gerald Ford administration. But in one of the more remarkable and definitely least-noticed developments of 2018, the state is showing signs that it could actually flip from blue to red.

New polling shows the lead of incumbent Sen. Bob Menendez disappearing under the attacks of challenger Bob Hugin. Once ahead by more than 17 points, according to Quinnipiac University polling, the Democrat now leads just 43 to 37 percent among registered voters.

Hugin doesn’t strike fear into the hearts of Democratic consultants at first glance. He is the most generic of businessmen — a multimillionaire pharmaceutical executive. But Menendez inspires absolute glee among the opposition. He is perhaps most profligate in the upper chamber, attracting the attention of a federal grand jury for that one time he let a donor fly him around on a private jet, wine and dine him at tropical golf courses, and put him up in a five-star hotel in Paris.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/the-sleeper-senate-race-in-new-jersey-just-became-an-election-to-watch

dfwgator:
Ain't gonna happen.

Jazzhead:

--- Quote from: dfwgator on August 22, 2018, 07:34:55 pm ---Ain't gonna happen.

--- End quote ---

It can happen if the GOP supports Mr. Hugan and pours money into media buys.   Menendez is corrupt, and Hugan is a centrist who ought to appeal to a range of New Jerseyeans for whom honest government is a priority. 

New Jersey will never elect a conservative, but a centrist who votes with the GOP caucus and helps us to keep control of committees and the agenda is nothing to sniff at.   

Gefn:
I don’t know. I’m optimistic people will wake up and realize what an idiot Menendez is ....

I’m going to a meet and greet for Hugin on Saturday morning. I did some volunteering for him but I haven’t met him, I met his mother and father in law who were very nice peeps.

@Concerned

Concerned:

--- Quote from: Freya on August 23, 2018, 08:00:22 am ---I don’t know. I’m optimistic people will wake up and realize what an idiot Menendez is ....

I’m going to a meet and greet for Hugin on Saturday morning. I did some volunteering for him but I haven’t met him, I met his mother and father in law who were very nice peeps.

@Concerned

--- End quote ---

I'll be enthusiastically voting for Hugin in November, but, sadly, my money would be New Jersey sending that corrupt Menendez back to Washington.

@Freya

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version