Author Topic: Cruz introduces amendment to 'harden' schools against shooters  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Hill By Megan Keller - 08/21/18

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) introduced on Tuesday an amendment to the Defense-Labor-HHS appropriations bill Tuesday intended to “harden" school protections against shooters.

Cruz's amendment would funnel money to reinforce school safety infrastructure and technology, including towards metal detectors, bullet-resistant doors and windows as well as technologies to alert law enforcement and first responders during security risks.

More: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/402928-cruz-introduces-amendment-to-appropriate-bill-to-harden-schools-against

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Cruz introduces amendment to 'harden' schools against shooters
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 08:51:37 pm »
If we need these things in our schools, why do we have to send the money through the DC machine first?

Let's get fedgov OUT of our schools and free up money for communities to improve security ON THEIR OWN.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 09:50:01 pm »
If we need these things in our schools, why do we have to send the money through the DC machine first?

Let's get fedgov OUT of our schools and free up money for communities to improve security ON THEIR OWN.

Well, in my neighborhood the district just rejected security measures because they are "racist" or something.   *****rollingeyes*****

I agree with you -- get the feds out of the schools.  But I think there has to be some way to compel the schools to protect the kids. This isn't the 1950s anymore.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:29:04 am »
Where's the usual suspects complaining about the money Trump spent?

Oh, wait up. It's the 'Real Conservative' Ted Cruz.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 12:58:10 am »
Where's the usual suspects complaining about the money Trump spent?

Oh, wait up. It's the 'Real Conservative' Ted Cruz.

Your statement is confusing.  Are you saying it's a bad idea to harden the schools?

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 01:17:40 am »
Wouldn't it be cheaper and far more effective to arm willing and able teachers and administrators? Then post signs everywhere citing the policy and letting would-be shooters/mass murderer wannabes know that maximum/deadly force will be used to protect the students. Watch mass shooting incidents drop like a stone through water.

This idea that every problem needs an exorbitantly expensive DC-centralized fix is one reason Trump won. The fraud and waste coming out of these kinds of Fedzilla 'fixes,' is legendary.

Speaking of Cruz, how on earth do I get off his mailing list??? I have lost track of how many times I've unsubscribed. Many, many times (over a period of literally years) would be an apt description. He leaves me alone for a few months after each unsubscribe...and then, like herpes, he puts me back on his list. How stupid is this??? I like him less every time he pulls this stunt.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 03:11:53 am »
Your statement is confusing.  Are you saying it's a bad idea to harden the schools?

Yes it is... Though the kids grow up in a prison, so they'll be used to it later.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 03:14:47 am »
Wouldn't it be cheaper and far more effective to arm willing and able teachers and administrators? Then post signs everywhere citing the policy and letting would-be shooters/mass murderer wannabes know that maximum/deadly force will be used to protect the students. Watch mass shooting incidents drop like a stone through water.

Dunno how it is now, but in my day, that'd never happen here... Because every redneck boy had guns in his truck... And would not have been afraid to use them.

You have identified the problem, though only partly.
The problem is the abrogation of the right to keep and bear arms.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 03:22:56 am »
Dunno how it is now, but in my day, that'd never happen here... Because every redneck boy had guns in his truck... And would not have been afraid to use them.

You have identified the problem, though only partly.
The problem is the abrogation of the right to keep and bear arms.

:thumbsup:
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 03:32:07 am »

You can't 'harden' any place without armed and dedicated people on the premises, on the alert.

I Still don't see the 'Talking Points' through a bullhorn that get dragged through thread after thread here.

What's the matter? Afraid to apply the same criteria to a 'Real Conservative' offering to blow OPM on school infrastructure which Will NOT Stop the shootings?

But it will Sell Well when presented to dupes of both Party comes election time.

@roamer_1 has it, plain as day.

And while we're here, How do you plan to physically 'harden' a school building against the ever increasing multitude of kids walking around with a head and body pumped full of mind altering 'Legal' drugs?

Do you even know what that garbage Quacks sell to treat ADHD is?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:36:11 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 03:42:50 am »

This idea that every problem needs an exorbitantly expensive DC-centralized fix is one reason Trump won. The fraud and waste coming out of these kinds of Fedzilla 'fixes,' is legendary.

Speaking of Cruz, how on earth do I get off his mailing list??? I have lost track of how many times I've unsubscribed. Many, many times (over a period of literally years) would be an apt description. He leaves me alone for a few months after each unsubscribe...and then, like herpes, he puts me back on his list. How stupid is this??? I like him less every time he pulls this stunt.

This is one issue that I disagree with my Senator. Top down programs from the federal government only add to the bureaucracy.

Anecdotally, most of the teachers I've seen, male and female, are not suited for carrying a firearm, even with training. Those that are prior military would be good candidates, but not some young teacher fresh out of college.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline DB

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 04:07:31 am »
First, I'm against the federal government being involved with our local schools period.

Our money shouldn't be passing through Washington on its way to our schools with more strings attached.

If I understand correctly this "Cruz Amendment" really only loosens the requirements on how these federal grants are spent. Allowing local schools to use them for additional security if they choose to. It doesn't add more money to the federal grants going to the schools.

If I understand correctly...

Anyone is welcome to enlighten me if I'm mistaken. The information in the posted article is pretty limited.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 04:26:29 am »
You can't 'harden' any place without armed and dedicated people on the premises, on the alert.

I Still don't see the 'Talking Points' through a bullhorn that get dragged through thread after thread here.

What's the matter? Afraid to apply the same criteria to a 'Real Conservative' offering to blow OPM on school infrastructure which Will NOT Stop the shootings?

But it will Sell Well when presented to dupes of both Party comes election time.

@roamer_1[/member ] has it, plain as day.

And while we're here, How do you plan to physically 'harden' a school building against the ever increasing multitude of kids walking around with a head and body pumped full of mind altering 'Legal' drugs?

Do you even know what that garbage Quacks sell to treat ADHD is?
.Oh, good grief

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 04:28:18 am »
First, I'm against the federal government being involved with our local schools period.

Our money shouldn't be passing through Washington on its way to our schools with more strings attached.

If I understand correctly this "Cruz Amendment" really only loosens the requirements on how these federal grants are spent. Allowing local schools to use them for additional security if they choose to. It doesn't add more money to the federal grants going to the schools.

If I understand correctly...

Anyone is welcome to enlighten me if I'm mistaken. The information in the posted article is pretty limited.

It's also possible that Ted offered the amendment to box in Beto during their debates, and Ted is a heckuva debater.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 04:33:41 am »

Schools are a state issue. Not the feds. This bullshit by Ted is more election year lip running that makes no sense.

This guy is the biggest loud mouth do nothing empty suit since Trey Gowdy.

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 05:30:18 am »
This is one issue that I disagree with my Senator. Top down programs from the federal government only add to the bureaucracy.

Anecdotally, most of the teachers I've seen, male and female, are not suited for carrying a firearm, even with training. Those that are prior military would be good candidates, but not some young teacher fresh out of college.

It really wouldn't take that many teachers and administrators carrying to solve the problem. Mass shootings occur almost invariably in gun free zones. As soon as a school is littered with signs warning of armed staff that will shoot to kill if need be, the bulk of the problem is solved.

Right now it's the gun free zone that is inviting trouble. If that's changed, then there is no need to advertise how many staff members are carrying. Just ok the ones who are qualified, then plaster the campus with dire warnings.  Problem solved.

Offline DB

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 06:08:57 am »
Schools are a state issue. Not the feds. This bullshit by Ted is more election year lip running that makes no sense.

This guy is the biggest loud mouth do nothing empty suit since Trey Gowdy.

So I assume you aren't going to vote for him.