Author Topic: Worst-case scenario for House GOP is 70-seat wipeout  (Read 3695 times)

Online DB

Re: Worst-case scenario for House GOP is 70-seat wipeout
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2018, 06:40:29 pm »
I don't get where pointing out that Trump has actually tried to do what he said he would do and the Pub party failing to do what they said they would do is "poor Trump crap". Whether you like Trump or not, if you're a conservative you should be rooting for him. Conservatives have always wanted a sane immigration system with solid border control, govt. out of our healthcare, a strong national defense, trade practices that are not weighted against us, and judges who don't legislate from the bench. It's the Pub party that has failed to back him on these issues.

I remember at the start of his administration Trump brought in Preibus among others. I thought it was a good move on his part to try and get the Pub party unified and to have people with legislative experience working with legislators. I didn't think that was abandoning changing how things work. We don't elect a monarch. Where Trump made a huge mistake was in signing the last budget CR. Trump has trusted the Pub party too much and their failure is going to cost them in the mid term elections.

Trump's time in office will be similar to Reagan's in that he will get more done internationally, where legislators are not involved, than he will domestically.

You are dead wrong. Trump does not want the government out of health care. He told you before the election that the "government was going to pay for healthcare for the 20% who can't afford it". He also told you he was going to mandate that health insurance cover preexisting condition. Something that is impossible unless you force people to buy insurance or "government pays" for it all (single payer). No one would buy health insurance until they need it otherwise. Why buy fire insurance for your house if you can get it after it burns down? Both those things puts the federal government smack in the middle of our healthcare due to Trump's own demands.

If Trump really wanted to do the thing you say, he would have started out by restoring lawfulness in the DOJ and FBI, departments he heads. Instead we got Sessions who's only real accomplishment is expanding asset forfeiture without due process which I'm totally against and unconstitutional - the very essence of lawless.

It is Kabuki theater. I'm not playing.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2018, 06:43:35 pm »
Whether you like Trump or not, if you're a conservative you should be rooting for him.

Why?  We were told by Trump and his own fanbase that not only did they not need us, we were not wanted - they were going to do everything by themselves.

Plus, Trump is no more invested in pushing for actual Conservative policies anymore than Bush II was.  Trump is too busy Tweeting insults to people who are 'not nice to him'.

Conservatives have always wanted a sane immigration system with solid border control, govt. out of our healthcare, a strong national defense, trade practices that are not weighted against us, and judges who don't legislate from the bench. It's the Pub party that has failed to back him on these issues.

Well, there's the proof that the faux image crafted for Trump as this superhuman negotiator who can make deals with anyone was pure unadulterated bullshit if he could not even persuade his own party to go along with his agenda and create legislation and pass those things.  I mean, if Trump can't get what he wants from his own party - how is it that the Trump fanbase insists that Trump can negotiate with Democrats and get deals done for us?   It's an absurd claim and was the moment it was made.

Sure the Republicans failed - they never had any intentions of doing what they paid lip service to undo for over the 8 years of Obama.  That Trump's god-like abilities to make deals never made a dent in his own party's agenda - proves that he has no skills to do those things his fanbase insisted he, and only he could perform.

We don't elect a monarch.

Then why demand we 'root' for him?  Surely Trump does not need our love and adoration like the gods of Olympus to accomplish his goals? 

I find this amusing that the Trump fanbase has gone from "Only he, only Trump can do it and get what we need done!" to "It is not Trump's fault he got nothing done - we do not elect a monarch".

Where Trump made a huge mistake was in signing the last budget CR.

No, no, no - not just the CR - but the 1.3 Trillion dollar budget signed in March after the two $700 Billion military spending appropriations signed on February 9th of this year,  that handed and funded the entirety of the Democrat agenda.  All deficit spending.

Trump's time in office will be similar to Reagan's in that he will get more done internationally, where legislators are not involved, than he will domestically.

Once again, this lays bare the bullshit claims made that Trump was this superhuman deal-maker and negotiator.  You just conceded that unless Trump acts as a monarch - and circumvents Congress, he cannot accomplish what he wants.

Just more evidence that He is none of those things that everyone claimed he would be.

Plus Trump's own behaviors and inability to control himself do him no favors to win us over to root for him.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2018, 10:04:19 pm »

As Ever.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com