Author Topic: Turks are smashing their iPhones to protest Trump  (Read 698 times)

Online corbe

Turks are smashing their iPhones to protest Trump
« on: August 16, 2018, 03:42:14 pm »
Turks are smashing their iPhones to protest Trump

By/ Tucker Reals/ CBS News/ August 16, 2018, 9:26 AM

Turks are taking sledgehammers, handguns and fire to iPhones in a symbolic backing of their government as it clashes with the Trump administration over a jailed American pastor. Videos showing Turkish citizens stomping on or otherwise destroying iPhones have proliferated online in recent days, following President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's call for Turks to boycott U.S. products -- specifically the smartphones made by California tech giant Apple.

Erdogan issued the call and announced a massive hike in tariffs on U.S. goods this week after the U.S. raised tariffs on Turkish imports and aimed new sanctions at Turkish officials in the row over American Pastor Andrew Brunson, who remains under house arrest pending his trial in Turkey on charges of espionage and terrorism.

The U.S. government insists the charges against Brunson are contrived and that he is an innocent family man being held for political reasons. Brunson had lived in Turkey for more than 20 years prior to his arrest. He was jailed for about two years before being moved to house arrest last month.

President Trump demanded Turkey free Brunson and then followed through with his threat to hit Ankara with sanctions and tariffs when he wasn't released.

<..snip..>

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/turkey-anger-donald-trump-us-tariffs-turks-smash-iphones-burn-fake-dollars/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Re: Turks are smashing their iPhones to protest Trump
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 03:43:55 pm »
   Brought back memories.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 03:51:18 pm »
Makes as much sense as burning down your house to protest Obama!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 03:58:14 pm »

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 04:10:15 pm »

Looks staged. Has anyone inspected those phones?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 04:16:11 pm »

Why does Steve Dahl remind me of George Thornton...

! No longer available
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 04:23:58 pm »
As if I needed another reason to like Trump.  If he's pissing Turks off, he's doing the right thing.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 04:27:58 pm »
Why does Steve Dahl remind me of George Thornton...

! No longer available

LOL.

Question for @EasyAce  I read that because the Disco Demolition caused the Sox to forfeit the second game of the twilight Double header Jimmy Piersall, who was Harry Carey's partner in the television broadcast booth for the White Sox, got mad at Mike Veeck (son of then owner Bill Veeck) and started strangling him.  Piersall was suspended for this, but Bill Vecck,  didn't fire him.    I never heard that at the time.  Is that urban legend.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.