Author Topic: CHAI FELDBLUM IN HER OWN WORDS  (Read 418 times)

Offline endicom

CHAI FELDBLUM IN HER OWN WORDS
« on: August 13, 2018, 12:03:12 pm »
Power Line
Paul Mirengoff
Aug. 12, 2018

Earlier this month, Chai Feldblum, whose renomination as EEOC commissioner is stalled due to her positions on what should happen when considerations of gay dignity collide with considerations of religious liberty, tweeted: “After months of having my views misrepresented, I am finally speaking for myself.” She speaks for herself in this article called “What I Really Believe About Religious Liberty and LGBT Rights.”

In her article, Feldblum tries to position herself as a moderate on the issue of gay dignity vs. religious liberty. Moderates, she says, are those who look to accommodate both sets of rights, rather than adopting a “winner-take-all” attitude. She cites Justice Kennedy and his opinion in Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado ( a punt, basically) as the model of moderation in this area.

[...]

But this what Feldblum said about the issue to Maggie Gallagher in 2006:

There can be a conflict between religious liberty and sexual liberty, but in almost all cases the sexual liberty should win because that’s the only way that the dignity of gay people can be affirmed in any realistic manner. . . .

I’m having a hard time coming up with any case in which religious liberty should win.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/08/chai-feldblum-in-her-own-words.php