State Chapters > NY/NJ

Under investigation for insider trading, Trump ally will not seek re-election

(1/2) > >>

Right_in_Virginia:
Under investigation for insider trading, Trump ally will not seek re-election
The Hill, Aug 11, 2018, Scott Wong and Tal Axelrod

Embattled Rep. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.) said Saturday he is suspending his reelection campaign as he fights charges of insider trading — a dramatic reversal from a few days ago when he insisted he would be on the November ballot and seek reelection.

“After extensive discussions with my family and my friends over the last few days, I have decided that it is in the best interests of the constituents of NY-27, the Republican Party and President Trump’s agenda for me to suspend my campaign for re-election to Congress,” Collins said in a statement.

He added he will continue serving the rest of his term and “fight the meritless charges brought against me.”

More: http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/401381-rep-chris-collins-suspends-reelection-campaign-over-insider-trading

Right_in_Virginia:
Oh, look!  The Hill managed to tie this to the President --- and in the title no less.   88devil

jpsb:
Well there goes 1 GOP house seat. And What has this got to do with Trump? No browny points for you today The Hill.

jmyrlefuller:
They already have another candidate lined up: Stefan Mychajliw (it's a Polish name, I think-- it's western New York, you can get away with that here). Current Erie County comptroller and longtime news reporter in Buffalo. He's a very aggressive campaigner and well-known in much of the district.

I'd say that this seat is pretty much safe now that Collins is out of the way.

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/erie-county-comptroller-stefan-mychajliw-says-he-will-run-in-collins-place/1361349725

Right_in_Virginia:

--- Quote from: jpsb on August 11, 2018, 03:47:05 pm ---Well there goes 1 GOP house seat. And What has this got to do with Trump? No browny points for you today The Hill.

--- End quote ---

I doubt it.  This district in NY prides itself on being a bastion of Republicanism.  For decades it's been solid.

The democrat is a no-name not even living in the district.

Early talk for a replacement is David Bellavia --- but you know the GOP.... Bellavia may be too easy a win to get the nod.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version