Author Topic: Trump doubles tariffs on Turkey  (Read 733 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump doubles tariffs on Turkey
« on: August 10, 2018, 02:13:41 pm »
Trump doubles tariffs on Turkey
By Sylvan Lane - 08/10/18 09:06 AM EDT

President Trump said Friday that the U.S. will double tariffs on steel and aluminum imported from Turkey, as relations between the NATO allies worsen.

Trump tweeted Friday that he authorized raising tariffs on Turkish steel to 50 percent and on aluminum to 20 percent as the country’s currency falls rapidly against the U.S. dollar.

“I have just authorized a doubling of Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum with respect to Turkey as their currency, the Turkish Lira, slides rapidly downward against our very strong Dollar! Aluminum will now be 20% and Steel 50%. Our relations with Turkey are not good at this time!,” Trump tweeted.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/international/401220-trump-doubles-tariffs-on-turkey
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Trump doubles tariffs on Turkey
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 03:12:51 pm »
Turkey is being economically pummeled right now.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 03:36:30 pm »
More than the tariffs appear to be hurting Turkey's economy, Turkey on its knees:

Turkey's lira crisis may be down to Erdogan's fundamental misunderstanding of how 'evil' interest rates work
Jim Edwards

The Turkish lira collapsed by over 35% in value versus the US dollar this year — a dramatic and sudden fall.
    Yet the Turkish economy is growing strongly.
    The trigger for the crisis may be investors' realisation that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan doesn't understand, or doesn't believe in, the role central banks play in setting interest rates that control inflation.

Erdogan has called interest rates "evil" in the past, and it's an attitude that may be spooking markets.

https://www.businessinsider.com/turkish-lira-crisis-erdogan-interest-rates-2018-8

Russia's Putin, Turkey's Erdogan discuss trade ties by phone - Kremlin
Reuters Staff

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed economic and trade ties by phone with his Turkish counterpart Tayyip Erdogan on Friday, the Kremlin said in a statement.

The two leaders also spoke about the success of joint strategic projects between the two countries, particularly in the energy sphere, it said.

The call happened after U.S. President Donald Trump said he had authorised higher tariffs on imports from Turkey, imposing a 20 percent duty on aluminium and 50 percent one on steel.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-russia-turkey-putin-erdogan/russias-putin-turkeys-erdogan-discuss-trade-ties-by-phone-kremlin-idUKKBN1KV1OQ

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 05:46:02 pm »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 05:47:51 pm »
This really going to make Thanksgiving suck.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 05:53:35 pm »

Why would he be happy? His puppet in Germany is getting hurt by this bigly. I actually think this whole move by Trump is an Eff You to Merkel for the Russian energy deal.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 08:15:01 pm »
Why would he be happy? His puppet in Germany is getting hurt by this bigly. I actually think this whole move by Trump is an Eff You to Merkel for the Russian energy deal.

He's happy because this is pulling Turkey right into his orbit, giving him nice unfettered access from the Black Sea and stripping a member of NATO.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 08:21:36 pm »
And so Turkey continues down the path it desires....to become the 7th paradise of its dreams.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 08:23:37 pm »
He's happy because this is pulling Turkey right into his orbit, giving him nice unfettered access from the Black Sea and stripping a member of NATO.

Russia Russia Russia.   ****slapping
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 08:34:23 pm »

I see the US, Russia and China having certain common interests; foremost being power, stability, order. quelling domestic Islamic threats, etc.

The US once needed Turkey for NATO atomic missile sites.  Not needed, if the (Islamic) enemies are Iran and Turkey herself.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 08:45:52 pm »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 09:29:58 pm »

Eff Russia.  Let Turkey be their sick man for a change.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 10:55:11 pm »
TomSea wrote:
"More than the tariffs appear to be hurting Turkey's economy, Turkey on its knees:"

On its knees?
Not good enough.

I want to see Turkey flat on its back, crushed, obliterated, islam driven out, Istanbul renamed to Constantinople, and Christianity restored there.

How's that for ya?

On it's knees?
That's.... a start.