Author Topic: Muslims try to block China mosque demolition in rare public demo  (Read 411 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Muslims try to block China mosque demolition in rare public demo

BEIJING -- Thousands of Muslims gathered at a mosque in northwestern China on Friday to protest its planned demolition in a rare, public pushback to the government's efforts to rewrite how religions are practiced in the country. A large crowd of Hui people, a Muslim ethnic minority, gathered outside the towering Grand Mosque in the town of Weizhou on Thursday, local Hui residents told The Associated Press by phone.

"We just won't let them demolish it," said Ma Sengming, a 68-year-old woman who said her daughter was at the protest outside the newly built mosque in the region of Ningxia.

The protest comes as faith groups that were largely tolerated in the past have seen their freedoms shrink as the government seeks to "Sinicize" religions by making the faithful prioritize allegiance to the officially atheist ruling Communist Party. Islamic crescents and domes have been stripped from mosques, Christian churches shut down and bibles seized, and Tibetan children have been moved from Buddhist temples to schools.

Read more at: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-hui-muslims-mosque-demolition-weizhou-ningxia-communist-party-religion/

So, part of a generalized crackdown on faiths... though, Islam presents its own unique problems.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Muslims try to block China mosque demolition in rare public demo
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 11:49:14 pm »
I have no problems with the Chinese -- or anybody else, for that matter -- demolishing mosques.

I look forward to the day it will become standard policy in all the nations of The West.

(sorry if you don't like that, I couldn't care less)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 12:45:36 pm »
2 can play that game. They are also cracking down on Christians and Buddhists. I'm not an atheist-communist, I don't approve of that.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 12:54:01 pm »
I have no problems with the Chinese -- or anybody else, for that matter -- demolishing mosques.

I look forward to the day it will become standard policy in all the nations of The West.

(sorry if you don't like that, I couldn't care less)

Sorry, it is wrong. They are doing the same thing to a lot of Churches in China.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”