Author Topic: WSJ: US is positioned to impose new penalties on Turkey as talks fail TM  (Read 439 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
With the Cold War and Nato, I was reading the other day, the USA imposed Turkey much more on Europe than Europe ever imposing Turkey on the West or USA. Of course, apparently, they were of much use during the Cold War. Have sent troops to Afghanistan and earlier, to Korea as well in the 1950s.  Maybe they helped at other times, I do not know.

WSJ: US is positioned to impose new penalties on Turkey as talks fail
TM

The US failed to secure assurances on Wednesday from Turkey to immediately free an American pastor, US officials said, deepening a crisis between the two countries and setting stage for the Trump administration to take new punitive steps.

According to a report by The Wall Street Journal, during high-level talks in Washington, US and Turkish officials were unable to produce a breakthrough in an impasse that has pushed Turkey’s economy into turmoil, officials said.

The Turkish lira hit a record low on Thursday, plunging to TL 5.43 to the US dollar.

Read more at: https://www.turkishminute.com/2018/08/09/wsj-us-is-positioned-to-impose-new-penalties-on-turkey-as-talks-fail/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
With the Cold War and Nato, I was reading the other day, the USA imposed Turkey much more on Europe than Europe ever imposing Turkey on the West or USA. Of course, apparently, they were of much use during the Cold War. Have sent troops to Afghanistan and earlier, to Korea as well in the 1950s.  Maybe they helped at other times, I do not know.

@TomSea

The Turkey of "then" is not the same Turkey we have to deal with "now". Islam wasn't in charge back then,and it pretty much dominates in the Turkey of today.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!