Author Topic: In McGahn Report, the New York Times ‘Attempts’ to Find Corruption  (Read 425 times)

Offline endicom

National Review
Andrew C. McCarthy
Aug. 20, 2018

The president’s critics are trying to build an obstruction case based on reading Trump’s mind.

The thing to bear in mind is that the president of the United States does not “attempt” to fire anyone in the executive branch. The chief executive either fires an inferior executive official or he does not. “Attempt” does not enter into it.

Yet “attempt” is the foundation on which the New York Times’ Michael S. Schmidt and Maggie Haberman build their blockbuster report this weekend about the decision by President Trump — apparently on the advice of his first team of lawyers — to waive executive privilege and attorney-client privilege so that prosecutors on the staff of Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III could interview White House Counsel Donald F. McGahn II.

I will in another column address the significance of the waiver. (To my mind, it bolsters the already strong argument that the president should not agree to be interviewed by the special counsel.) For now, let’s keep our eye on the ball: the question of whether there is an obstruction case against the president. The Times report is lengthy, but here is the critical passage:

More... https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/08/donald-mcgahn-report-trump-critics-try-to-read-mind-motives/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
They are genuinely scared and are pulling out ALL the stops to protect themselves!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

They are genuinely scared and are pulling out ALL the stops to protect themselves!

It does look that way.