Author Topic: The Day Trump Told Us There Was Attempted Collusion with Russia  (Read 397 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.newyorker.com/news-desk/swamp-chronicles/the-day-trump-told-us-there-was-attempted-collusion-with-russia
...On August 5, 2018, precisely forty-four years after the collapse of the Nixon Presidency, another President, Donald Trump, made his own public admission. In one of a series of early-morning tweets, Trump addressed a meeting that his son Donald, Jr., held with a Russian lawyer affiliated with the Russian government. “This was a meeting to get information on an opponent, totally legal and done all the time in politics - and it went nowhere,” he wrote. “I did not know about it!”

The tweet contains several crucial pieces of information. First, it is a clear admission that Donald Trump, Jr.,’s original statement about the case was inaccurate enough to be considered a lie. He had said the meeting was with an unknown person who “might have information helpful to the campaign,” and that this person “primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children.” This false statement was, according to his legal team, dictated by the President himself. There was good reason to mislead the American people about that meeting. Based on reporting—at the time and now—of the President’s admission, it was a conscious effort by the President’s son and two of his closest advisers to work with affiliates of the Russian government to obtain information that might sway the U.S. election in Trump’s favor. In short, it was, at minimum, a case of attempted collusion. The tweet indicates that Trump’s defense will continue to be that this attempt at collusion failed—“it went nowhere”—and that, even if it had succeeded, it would have been “totally legal and done all the time.” It is unclear why, if the meeting was entirely proper, it was important for the President to declare “I did not know about it!” or to tell the Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, to “stop this Rigged Witch Hunt right now.”

The President’s Sunday-morning tweet should be seen as a turning point. It doesn’t teach us anything new—most students of the case already understand what Donald Trump, Jr., Paul Manafort, and Jared Kushner knew about that Trump Tower meeting. But it ends any possibility of an alternative explanation. We can all move forward understanding that there is a clear fact pattern about which there is no dispute:

The President’s son and top advisers knowingly met with individuals connected to the Russian government, hoping to obtain dirt on their political opponent.

Documents stolen from the Democratic National Committee and members of the Clinton campaign were later used in an overt effort to sway the election.

When the Trump Tower meeting was uncovered, the President instructed his son and staff to lie about the meeting, and told them precisely which lies to use.

The President is attempting to end the investigation into this meeting and other instances of attempted collusion between his campaign staff and representatives of the Russian government.

more at link

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1026084333315153924

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Fake News reporting, a complete fabrication, that I am concerned about the meeting my wonderful son, Donald, had in Trump Tower. This was a meeting to get information on an opponent, totally legal and done all the time in politics - and it went nowhere. I did not know about it!
5:35 AM - 5 Aug 2018

Trump is telling us he colluded with Russia by this tweet.  Don jr., Jared, and Manafort didn't accidently commit treason.  None of you will care, but next week Trump will dump a tweet admitting "YOU'RE GODDAM RIGHT I ORDERED THE CODE RED!"

Online corbe

Re: The Day Trump Told Us There Was Attempted Collusion with Russia
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 01:47:12 am »
52 U.S. Code § 30121 - Contributions and donations by foreign nationals

(a)  Prohibition It shall be unlawful for—
(1)  a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make—
(A)   a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;

(B)   a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or

(C)   an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title); or

(2)   a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.

(b)  “Foreign national” defined As used in this section, the term “foreign national” means—
(1)   a foreign principal, as such term is defined by section 611(b) of title 22, except that the term “foreign national” shall not include any individual who is a citizen of the United States; or

(2)   an individual who is not a citizen of the United States or a national of the United States (as defined in section 1101(a)(22) of title 8) and who is not lawfully admitted for permanent residence, as defined by section 1101(a)(20) of title 8.

(Pub. L. 92–225, title III, § 319, formerly § 324, as added Pub. L. 94–283, title I, § 112(2), May 11, 1976, 90 Stat. 493; renumbered § 319, Pub. L. 96–187, title I, § 105(5), Jan. 8, 1980, 93 Stat. 1354; amended Pub. L. 107–155, title III, §§ 303, 317, Mar. 27, 2002, 116 Stat. 96, 109.)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/52/30121

LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: The Day Trump Told Us There Was Attempted Collusion with Russia
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 03:40:33 am »
And now Jay Sekulow's reputation has been besmirched by his association with Trump.

His integrity has never been questioned up until now...when dealing with Trump, how can one be sure they're getting the truth from him? Seems to me it's impossible.

"I had bad information at that time and made a mistake in my statement."
- Trump attorney Jay Sekulow]

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/05/trump-attorney-jay-sekulow-blames-bad-information-for-trump-tower-statement-mixup-says-no-sign-don-jr-under-investigation.html

So who gave him the "bad information", if it didn't come from Trump himself?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:46:30 am by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.