Author Topic: Media Outlets Hype Trump Tweet As New Admission — Forget He Said The Same Thing Last Year  (Read 426 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Media Outlets Hype Trump Tweet As New Admission — Forget He Said The Same Thing Last Year
Daily Caller, Aug 6, 2018, Peter Hasson

Media outlets botched another Trump-Russia story on Sunday.

President Donald Trump sent out a tweet Sunday morning defending his son Donald Trump Jr.’s decision to take a July 2016 meeting with a Russian lawyer who promised damaging information on then-Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.  “Fake News reporting, a complete fabrication, that I am concerned about the meeting my wonderful son, Donald, had in Trump Tower,” the president tweeted. “This was a meeting to get information on an opponent, totally legal and done all the time in politics – and it went nowhere. I did not know about it!”

The vast majority of reporting on the president’s tweet portrayed it as a significant admission. The Associated Press reported that Trump “appeared to change his story” and sent out a news alert to that effect.

[...]

There’s just one problem: Trump’s tweet wasn’t a reversal at all. It’s true that Trump’s original explanation for the Trump Tower meeting was that it focused on adoptions, but the president has long since acknowledged that the meeting’s origin was an offer of opposition research.  “I do think this, that taken from a practical standpoint … most people would’ve taken that meeting. It’s called opposition research, or even research into your opponent,” Trump said at a July 13, 2017 press conference. “I’ve only been in politics for two years, but I’ve had many people call up, ‘Oh gee, we have information on this factor or this person,’ or, frankly, Hillary.”

“That’s very standard in politics. Politics is not the nicest business in the world, but it’s very standard where they have information and you take the information, and I think the press made a very big deal out of something that really a lot [of people] would do,” Trump said at the time.

More:  http://dailycaller.com/2018/08/05/media-trump-tower-russia/

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Media Outlets Hype Trump Tweet As New Admission — Forget He Said The Same Thing Last Year
Daily Caller, Aug 6, 2018, Peter Hasson

Media outlets botched another Trump-Russia story on Sunday.

President Donald Trump sent out a tweet Sunday morning defending his son Donald Trump Jr.’s decision to take a July 2016 meeting with a Russian lawyer who promised damaging information on then-Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.  “Fake News reporting, a complete fabrication, that I am concerned about the meeting my wonderful son, Donald, had in Trump Tower,” the president tweeted. “This was a meeting to get information on an opponent, totally legal and done all the time in politics – and it went nowhere. I did not know about it!”

The vast majority of reporting on the president’s tweet portrayed it as a significant admission. The Associated Press reported that Trump “appeared to change his story” and sent out a news alert to that effect.

[...]

There’s just one problem: Trump’s tweet wasn’t a reversal at all. It’s true that Trump’s original explanation for the Trump Tower meeting was that it focused on adoptions, but the president has long since acknowledged that the meeting’s origin was an offer of opposition research.  “I do think this, that taken from a practical standpoint … most people would’ve taken that meeting. It’s called opposition research, or even research into your opponent,” Trump said at a July 13, 2017 press conference. “I’ve only been in politics for two years, but I’ve had many people call up, ‘Oh gee, we have information on this factor or this person,’ or, frankly, Hillary.”

“That’s very standard in politics. Politics is not the nicest business in the world, but it’s very standard where they have information and you take the information, and I think the press made a very big deal out of something that really a lot [of people] would do,” Trump said at the time.

More:  http://dailycaller.com/2018/08/05/media-trump-tower-russia/

...and this is exactly how the left has been trying to win the mid term elections.  Their sole focus has been on Trump/Russian collusion using their usual lies, deceptions and denials.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.