Author Topic: Why is Trump fighting the trade war?  (Read 5412 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Why is Trump fighting the trade war?
« on: August 03, 2018, 05:21:23 pm »
Economists do not think of capital spending in terms of real-world numbers.  They think of it as a concept in their models that self-equilibrates.  There isn't an economist from Harvard to Stanford or anywhere in between who knows this chart.  Believe me: I have worked with these people.  If you as a reader are in business or in academe, try me out.

The only person in public life who understands this chart is Donald Trump.  I cannot say he has literally looked at it, but he understands it.

Note that we are not talking about the "creative destruction of capitalism" here.  We are not talking about no longer making buggy whips.  We are talking about the staples of a modern economy, many of which we no longer have the capital equipment to manufacture.

We were the only country to emerge from World War II stronger than when we went into it, and our relative strength at the end of World War II was immeasurable.  It became our policy, and then our unconscious attitude, to "help other countries get back on their feet."  This attitude became a permanent part of our trade policy-making, wherein we essentially opened our markets to other countries while accepting that their markets were closed to us.

The chart shows that our ability to sustain the Lord Bountiful approach to trade ended forever in 2000, although nobody in power saw it until Donald Trump came along in 2016.

Among other things, this chart is the opioid epidemic – the despair created by permanent unemployment.  The lack of capital investment is what has created the regions where people have dropped out of the workforce and thus are no longer counted as being in it.
The chart is a picture of the consequences of our defeat in the trade war.  Only Trump – and American Thinker readers of this piece – know that we have experienced this defeat.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/08/why_is_trump_fighting_the_trade_war.html
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Why is Trump fighting the trade war?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 05:22:11 pm »
I found this article interesting, although I could not understand the Chart at all but you can view it and the rest of this article at the link.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 05:45:38 pm »
Nice story, but if we look at the data a little more closely, we see the BS behind it...

It's clear that recessions set back capital expenditures, but they pick right up again during recovery.  There's no magic December 2001 trigger.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 06:05:35 pm »
Nice story, but if we look at the data a little more closely, we see the BS behind it...

It's clear that recessions set back capital expenditures, but they pick right up again during recovery.  There's no magic December 2001 trigger.

The graph shows a repeated return to former highs but not above. We're not investing in our capital base.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 06:57:09 pm »
The graph shows a repeated return to former highs but not above. We're not investing in our capital base.

Here's a hint:
Subsidizing failure doesn't decrease the conditions that lead to failure.

For example, if you give a bonus to someone even when they slack off, you'll likely find them slacking off more.

Similarly, telling steel plants that refuse to innovate that we'll prop them up will mean that they'll continue to remain uncompetitive.  Why should they invest in capital and get tight on labor when they're being told that there's no support for layoffs or for being competitive?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline darroll

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 07:29:34 pm »

Quote:

On May 19, President Clinton announced that he would be renewing China's trading privileges in spite of its human rights record, and against the wishes of over sixty percent of Americans who are opposed to trading with the oppressive communist regime. Why is the U.S. cracking down on smaller nations for alleged human rights abuses while extending favorable treatment to one of the most oppressive governments in the world?
End Quote:

Clinton feathering his own nest.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 07:44:35 pm »
Regardless of the chart, it is quite simple.  We experienced decades of 'free trade' in lieu of 'fair trade' and our economy was hit hard. Add to that Bammy's brilliant healthcare plan; the hard hit economy was hit once again.  Add to that decades of illegals entering this country and that only compounds the negative impact that our country has been experiencing.  It's not brain surgery.  All of these issues have had a negative impact on our economy.  Trump is the only one who has had the backbone to do something about it and those who have profited off of the issues mentioned, are fighting him tooth and nail.  Trade is an issue that he seems to be most in tune with and I believe he and the U.S.A. will eventually succeed.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 08:25:26 pm »
Regardless of the chart, it is quite simple.  We experienced decades of 'free trade' in lieu of 'fair trade' and our economy was hit hard. Add to that Bammy's brilliant healthcare plan; the hard hit economy was hit once again.  Add to that decades of illegals entering this country and that only compounds the negative impact that our country has been experiencing.  It's not brain surgery.  All of these issues have had a negative impact on our economy.  Trump is the only one who has had the backbone to do something about it and those who have profited off of the issues mentioned, are fighting him tooth and nail.  Trade is an issue that he seems to be most in tune with and I believe he and the U.S.A. will eventually succeed.

@libertybele  I agree and I hope he succeeds.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 10:19:00 pm »
our economy was hit hard

Indeed. We were able to buy things at quite a discount.

The horror.
+++++++++

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 10:35:25 pm »
Only Trump – and American Thinker readers of this piece – know that we have experienced this defeat.

I read the piece and still don't know that we have experienced this defeat.

Offline darroll

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 11:17:49 pm »
I know the old trade policy of the US.
I trade you four beans for three beans and put the other one in my pocket. Senator Crupt.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 01:06:55 am »
Indeed. We were able to buy things at quite a discount.

The horror.

In exchange for lost jobs, decreased or stagnant wages and inferior products (i.e., Chinese drywall), yes the horror!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 01:13:49 am »
"Why is Trump fighting the trade war?"

To win, of course.
Seems plain enough to me...  ;)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 01:16:01 am »
"Why is Trump fighting the trade war?"

To win, of course.
Seems plain enough to me...  ;)

I have no doubt the he also sees opportunity to line his own pockets, but winning the trade war will benefit the country.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 01:58:29 am »
I have no doubt the he also sees opportunity to line his own pockets, but winning the trade war will benefit the country.

One usually doesn't win trade wars that they begin.  Trade wars almost inevitably lead to hot wars.   Then the cost in resources, money and bloodshed spilled is a zillion-times greater than the economic costs everyone is supposedly suffering from before they began the trade war.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 02:05:02 am »
NOT "fighting a trade war.

Merely negotiating terms which are more fair and favorable  to the US.

Exactly what citizen Trump first said was needed, decades ago. So he ran on it, and is now trying to implement.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 02:06:49 am »
Indeed. We were able to buy things Stolen Property at quite a discount.

The horror.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 05:51:44 am »

If you have a job, you can afford to buy things without the discount.  (Unemployment at record low)

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 05:55:43 am »
If you have a job, you can afford to buy things without the discount.  (Unemployment at record low)

If you have money to give away, why don't you just write checks directly to the union bosses rather than forcing us all to pay for it?
+++++++++

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 06:39:18 pm »
If you have money to give away, why don't you just write checks directly to the union bosses rather than forcing us all to pay for it?

If you have intelligence, why do you choose to post a completely irrelevant answer?  What does that even mean? 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 06:42:57 pm »
If you have intelligence, why do you choose to post a completely irrelevant answer?  What does that even mean?

It's natural for him to seek ulterior motives, @Emjay

We did the same thing for 8 years of Obama and.....every time Hillary opens her mouth.

@Suppressed feels the same way about President Trump.

God love him.....    happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 06:47:35 pm »

goopo    :thumbsup:

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 06:48:21 pm »

888high58888

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 06:56:15 pm »
It means @Suppressed thinks tariffs are taxes, and taxes are theft, and we are tired of paying our ever higher "fair" share regardless of which Commander In Thief is running the swamp.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 07:05:26 pm »
It means @Suppressed thinks tariffs are taxes, and taxes are theft, and we are tired of paying our ever higher "fair" share regardless of which Commander In Thief is running the swamp.

Thanks mucho for following a non sequitur with another non sequitur.  Always fun.