Author Topic: Netanyahu Warns Iran Over Red Sea Waterway  (Read 442 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Netanyahu Warns Iran Over Red Sea Waterway
« on: August 02, 2018, 06:37:48 pm »
Jerusalem (AFP) - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned Iran it would join military action to stop it blocking a key seaway after Yemen's Iranian-aligned Huthi rebels attacked two Saudi oil tankers.

Speaking at a navy ceremony late Wednesday, Netanyahu warned against any attempt to block the Bab al-Mandab strait, one of the world's busiest shipping lanes and the southern entrance to the Red Sea.

On July 26, Saudi Arabia said it had temporarily halted all oil shipments through the waterway after the Huthi rebels attacked two of its tankers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/netanyahu-warns-iran-over-red-sea-waterway-053137680.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline thackney

Re: Netanyahu Warns Iran Over Red Sea Waterway
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 07:28:49 pm »

Bab el-Mandeb

Closing the Bab el-Mandeb Strait could keep tankers in the Persian Gulf from reaching the Suez Canal and the SUMED Pipeline, diverting them around the southern tip of Africa.

The Bab el-Mandeb Strait is a chokepoint between the Horn of Africa and the Middle East, and it is a strategic link between the Mediterranean Sea and the Indian Ocean. The strait is located between Yemen, Djibouti, and Eritrea, and it connects the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden and the Arabian Sea. Most exports from the Persian Gulf that transit the Suez Canal and the SUMED Pipeline also pass through Bab el-Mandeb. An estimated 4.8 million b/d of crude oil and refined petroleum products flowed through this waterway in 2016 toward Europe, the United States, and Asia, an increase from 3.3 million b/d in 2011.

The Bab el-Mandeb Strait is 18 miles wide at its narrowest point, limiting tanker traffic to two 2-mile-wide channels for inbound and outbound shipments. Closure of the Bab el-Mandeb could keep tankers originating in the Persian Gulf from reaching the Suez Canal or the SUMED Pipeline, diverting them around the southern tip of Africa, which would add to transit time and cost. In addition, European and North African southbound oil flows could no longer take the most direct route to Asian markets via the Suez Canal and Bab el-Mandeb.

WORLD OIL TRANSIT CHOKEPOINTS
https://www.eia.gov/beta/international/regions-topics.php?RegionTopicID=WOTC

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 02:32:41 am »
Looks like Iran is now pushing the Saudis into the arms of Israel.

Not good for Iran.  They are making way too many enemies.

Soon they will have only Obama and Kerry on their side.  Not a good side to be on.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 02:43:22 am »
I think, he thinks, the USA will support him regardless of his choices...
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw