Author Topic: Name This Prehistoric-looking insect!  (Read 773 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Name This Prehistoric-looking insect!
« on: August 02, 2018, 06:33:29 pm »
Here are three photos of this thing that I took with my cell phone a couple of days ago. Believe it or not,but it is inching it's way up a upright steel pole by apparently "sticking" to the pole somehow using what looks to be wooden twig legs. As you can see in the photos,it lives in a shell that looks EXACTLY like a piece of dead tree bark,and attaches itself to whatever it is climbing using the "bark legs". It then extends it's tiny pink body out of the shell and uses multiple rows of tiny little legs to extend the body an inch or so,and then "walks" the "tree bark" body up to the point where the entire pink body and head are invisible again. Then it repeats the process until it gets to where it is going. While it is doing this,you can see a tiny little jaw opening and closing as it seems to be trying to "taste" what it is climbing.

Best damn disguise I have ever seen. I have never seen or even heard of anything like this before,and am trying to find out what the hell this remarkable little insect is.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Name This Prehistoric-looking insect!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 06:41:06 pm »
Is this it?

Bagworm Moth larva

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:47:49 pm »
Is this it?

Bagworm Moth larva

I believe it is. Hard to see without the inner body sticking out.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 06:50:37 pm »
If its bagworms kill them all.

http://blog.davey.com/2018/04/bagworms-are-they-harmful-and-how-can-i-get-rid-of-them/

What damage do bagworms do?

Bagworms will attack more than 120 different types of trees. Though, they prefer evergreens, like juniper, arborvitae, cedar and spruce.

Once they’ve found a tree to call home, bagworms start munching.

On evergreens, they’ll eat lots of the buds and foliage, causing branch tips to turn brown and then die. But if they eat more than 80 percent of the tree, the entire evergreen may die.

On deciduous trees (those that lose their leaves in winter), bagworms chew small holes in the leaves and can cause defoliation. Generally, these trees will bounce back if you get rid of the bagworms.

Bagworms also wrap silk around the twigs they build their bags on, which could kill the tree twigs a few years from now.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 06:58:47 pm »

Amen....    Many a Pecan crop gone to sh__ by these buggers.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 10:58:15 pm »

@Elderberry

This one must have been a Special Education bagworm because he was doing his damnedest to bite holes in that steel beam. I did notice another one that was attached to another steel beam like the one attached to that wooden post in your photo that hadn't started to  hatch out yet. I'll look for it when I go back.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 10:59:38 pm »
BTW,I had never seen one before yesterday. What parts of the country are they normally seen?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 11:13:20 pm »
They’re actually native to North America. But they’re mainly in the Eastern United States, dispersed all along the East Coast and in much of the Southeast.

We had an evergreen tree totally infested with bagworms. My dad cut the tree down and burned the tree bagworms and all right on our driveway to make sure that none of them evil critters got away.