Author Topic: Trump Takes Aim at 3D Printed Guns.  (Read 6138 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Trump Takes Aim at 3D Printed Guns.
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2018, 06:53:06 pm »
...hmm... are 3D printable plastic guns considered a mean of self defense? If not, then it would NOT fall under the 2A with right to bear arms.  If they are considered a means of self defense then this opens up a can of worms as far as any type of restriction.
Under current law, you are allowed to make your own gun, for your own use, iirc, so long as it doesn't violate the select fire/full auto and other regs out there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2018, 06:59:55 pm »
Under current law, you are allowed to make your own gun, for your own use, iirc, so long as it doesn't violate the select fire/full auto and other regs out there.

You can sell it also, under certain conditions.

Can I Sell or Give My Homemade Gun to Another Person?

Transferring a homemade gun may be legal if the owner made it and intended to keep it at the time.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/can-i-sell-or-give-my-homemade-gun-another-person.htm

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2018, 07:04:34 pm »
You can sell it also, under certain conditions.

Can I Sell or Give My Homemade Gun to Another Person?

Transferring a homemade gun may be legal if the owner made it and intended to keep it at the time.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/can-i-sell-or-give-my-homemade-gun-another-person.htm

Reading this thread, more than once I'm reminded of that scene in the movie 'Line of Fire'. 

...when Malkavich's character kills two inquisitive fishermen asking about his plastic derringer at water's edge.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2018, 07:06:24 pm »
@sneakypete

Oh, I'll take it further than just home printed pistols... This is going to be every bit as destructive to manufacturing as the internet was to movies and music... Just think of all the crappy Chinese plastic junk you'll be able to print at home...

Need a new tackle box? surf the web till you find the open source data file you want, pick your color, and print it up... for pennies. It boggles the mind.
It's just an intermediary step to walking up to the machine and asking for a cup of Earl Gray, Hot....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2018, 07:13:59 pm »
Just because some in the government want to ban this information.

AR-15: codeisfreespeech.com/code_files/ar15_complete.zip
AR-10: codeisfreespeech.com/code_files/ar10_complete.zip
Ruger 10-22: codeisfreespeech.com/code_files/ruger_10-22_complete.zip
1911: codeisfreespeech.com/code_files/1911_complete.zip
vz 58: codeisfreespeech.com/code_files/vz58_complete.zip
Beretta 92FS: codeisfreespeech.com/code_files/beretta_92fs_complete.zip
Liberator: codeisfreespeech.com/code_files/liberator_complete.zip

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2018, 09:15:01 pm »
I want my Windows 8 Professional back!   Windows 10 has screwed up my machine.  It crawls.

@DCPatriot
Win8 and win10 are pretty much the same.  You are just uninformed with how to make it fly...
SIGNIFICANT gains can be made if you don't sign in with microsoft, and simply use a local user, AND shut off all the telemetry being transmitted otherwise, which AntiSpy folks like me would tell you to shut off anyway.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2018, 09:21:04 pm »
It's just an intermediary step to walking up to the machine and asking for a cup of Earl Gray, Hot....

@Smokin Joe
It really is astonishing, isn't it, how Star Trek has effected 'the big idea'... I have actually pondered the mechanism of that...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 09:26:12 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2018, 09:27:09 pm »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2018, 09:27:48 pm »

@Smokin Joe
It really is astonishing, isn't it, how Star Trek has effected 'the big idea'... I have actually pondered the mechanism of that...

The best Sci-Fi writers are also Futurists.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2018, 09:34:04 pm »
@DCPatriot
Win8 and win10 are pretty much the same.  You are just uninformed with how to make it fly...
SIGNIFICANT gains can be made if you don't sign in with microsoft, and simply use a local user, AND shut off all the telemetry being transmitted otherwise, which AntiSpy folks like me would tell you to shut off anyway.

I had been using Windows 10 with not much inconvenience but after they installed a 'critical update' in the middle of some night, it was as if every mouse command had to be approved by a third party....with shit running.  Videos still are not in sync with audio.

Bookface especially doesn't scroll as smoothly as it used to...pre update.

The update that @Elderberry suggested seems to help...but I'm wondering if I have the correct Windows version now.   :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2018, 09:38:34 pm »
The best Sci-Fi writers are also Futurists.

I don't think that's it exactly... But the wide-eyed kid watching it becomes impressed... How much the advent of the flip phone was effected and affected because its designer was one of those kids... The flip phone is the communicator, the smart phone is the tricorder...

Wireless bluetooth and 'Hey Google' are sending us into the Next Generation...

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2018, 09:46:30 pm »
I don't think that's it exactly... But the wide-eyed kid watching it becomes impressed... How much the advent of the flip phone was effected and affected because its designer was one of those kids... The flip phone is the communicator, the smart phone is the tricorder...

Wireless bluetooth and 'Hey Google' are sending us into the Next Generation...

Aren't we at the 'Dick Tracy' level  now?  Video phone on your wrist?  Pretty soon, I'd imagine.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2018, 09:52:59 pm »
Nah, I haven't paid much for printer ink ever.

I haven't even had a printer hooked up for years (I am pretty much wholly digital)... The last time I did was around 20 bucks for 5 or 6 blacks... And those were large capacity.

I get you. But if you go looking in the aftermarket, ink is cheap as dirt.

I get mine on ebay for almost nothing.
From the same seller, with 100,000 positive feedback's.

I usually pay $8.00 for 12 cartridges, (my printer uses 4 at a time).

Original cartridges, in original vacuum packed containers.

Same cartridges would cost me over $100.00 elsewhere.

Have been buying from same seller for years and never been dissatisfied.
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2018, 10:02:20 pm »
I had been using Windows 10 with not much inconvenience but after they installed a 'critical update' in the middle of some night, it was as if every mouse command had to be approved by a third party....with shit running.  Videos still are not in sync with audio.

Bookface especially doesn't scroll as smoothly as it used to...pre update.

The update that @Elderberry suggested seems to help...but I'm wondering if I have the correct Windows version now.   :laugh:

@DCPatriot
Identify your video card (it will be either Intel,  NVidia or ATI/AMD), and go to their site, and get the latest driver. often drivers take a while to get in the update chain, and especially Motherboard chipset and Video are better managed directly from their manufacturers. Vid, especially, usually provides direct automatic or semi-automatic update, once installed directly.

Either your computer is too busy doing other things, a symptom of too much running in the background, and/or not enough RAM memory, or something is borked in the vid or DMCA layers, causing the vid/audio sync problem. Being on the newest vid driver should eliminate the latter. The former goes back to what I said before...

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2018, 10:09:55 pm »
@DCPatriot
Identify your video card (it will be either Intel,  NVidia or ATI/AMD), and go to their site, and get the latest driver. often drivers take a while to get in the update chain, and especially Motherboard chipset and Video are better managed directly from their manufacturers. Vid, especially, usually provides direct automatic or semi-automatic update, once installed directly.

Either your computer is too busy doing other things, a symptom of too much running in the background, and/or not enough RAM memory, or something is borked in the vid or DMCA layers, causing the vid/audio sync problem. Being on the newest vid driver should eliminate the latter. The former goes back to what I said before...

Thanks, @roamer_1    I'll check it out.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2018, 10:16:10 pm »
Aren't we at the 'Dick Tracy' level  now?  Video phone on your wrist?  Pretty soon, I'd imagine.

LOL! Google Watch comes to mind...
But no... We're in Next Generation now. 'Computer' is everywhere , 'in the air', and responding to questions posed in a verbal fashion. 'Computer' controls many automatic systems, and responds to one's god-like, 'let it be so' commands...

As for Dick Tracey, you're heading in the wrong direction on the timeline... Duffers like you and me are the only ones remembering him.... No, we're heading for Star Wars now... with Stargate alongside.  :shrug:

So an appropriate reply in this age of the 'wisdom of youth', would be to say, "Who the hell is Dick Tracey?"

:beer:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2018, 10:17:43 pm »
I get mine on ebay for almost nothing.
I usually pay $8.00 for 12 cartridges, (my printer uses 4 at a time).
Original cartridges, in original vacuum packed containers.

That's right... Ink is stupid cheap if you stay out of the retail chain.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2018, 10:20:34 pm »
LOL! Google Watch comes to mind...
But no... We're in Next Generation now. 'Computer' is everywhere , 'in the air', and responding to questions posed in a verbal fashion. 'Computer' controls many automatic systems, and responds to one's god-like, 'let it be so' commands...

As for Dick Tracey, you're heading in the wrong direction on the timeline... Duffers like you and me are the only ones remembering him.... No, we're heading for Star Wars now... with Stargate alongside.  :shrug:

So an appropriate reply in this age of the 'wisdom of youth', would be to say, "Who the hell is Dick Tracey?"

comic strip launched in 1931.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Tracy

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2018, 10:21:07 pm »
Thanks, @roamer_1    I'll check it out.

Happy to help if I can... Start a post in tech/computers or PM, and we'll beat it up.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2018, 10:27:32 pm »
Just because some in the government want to ban this information.

AR-15: codeisfreespeech.com/code_files/ar15_complete.zip

http://firearmfiles.com/andromeda.php?q=f&f=%2Ffiles%2FAR15
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2018, 10:48:59 pm »
I asked this earlier on this thread .... and I didn't see an answer (sorry if I missed it).

Are these guns detectable by airport x-ray machines and metal detectors?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2018, 11:02:37 pm »
I asked this earlier on this thread .... and I didn't see an answer (sorry if I missed it).

Yes. The receivers are the only thing that is plastic,and even they pretty much HAVE to have metal inserts in them to handle chamber pressures.

Much ado about nothing.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2018, 01:10:25 am »

Yes. The Dems have been raving about "plastic guns" since the first composite stocks came out. Polymer frames started another round of cartwheeling fits, and now this (which has been around for years, now). It's more panic mongering from the folks who brought us Operations Gunwalker, Gangwalker, and Grenadewalker...which put real, military grade weapons in the hands of bad guys in two countries...
It seems POTUS is either not quite up to speed on this, or that someone has made some very significant advancements the rest of us are unaware of.
Exploded view (assembly) drawings and even those showing machining specifications have been around as long as the firearms they portray, and are necessary to the proper gunsmithing of existing arms, for safety and checking tolerances, not to mention ordering parts. These are nothing new, either. As with autombiles, new and used parts are available for most firearms which have ever been  manufactured, or in some cases (historical arms), reproduced. The catalogues of such parts come with diagrams of the firearm (exploded view drawings) and are the size of NYC Borough phone books. For the collector of arms, the hobbyist, and gunsmith alike these are invaluable references.
Considering there were ads in the magazines of my youth for building a bulldozer in your garage, the 3D printer is the new generation of making your own stuff, but hardly as durable or as usable as the small machine shops that used to be fairly common in American back yards.
As this is the sort of thing they use when practicing deflection, I wonder what they have done now?

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2018, 01:52:13 am »
Yes. The receivers are the only thing that is plastic,and even they pretty much HAVE to have metal inserts in them to handle chamber pressures.

Much ado about nothing.

Thanks @sneakypete

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2018, 02:11:50 am »

Much ado about nothing.

@sneakypete
Well,technically, that is not true. All-plastic guns have been demonstrated to be able to handle some few rounds, not over a clip or two, before self-destruction. the barrel requires a machined carbon-fiber, IIRC, but I can vouch for no more than that (it's been a while).

It is still rather silly, as the rounds are still made of brass and lead, and have a stainless cap in them, all of which can certainly be detected - So the question of the plastic gun hinges not on the gun itself, but upon the creation of plastic rounds as well.