Author Topic: More than 450 people in Florida ordered to give up guns under new law, report says  (Read 1894 times)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
So ... I wish that there was a viable candidate running against Scott.  I might just sit this election out.  I think Scott made a terrible decision signing legislation dismantling the 2A, and I sure as heck don't like Nelson.

More than 450 people in Florida ordered to give up guns under new law, report says

Hundreds of gun owners in Florida have been ordered to give up their guns under a new law that took effect after the deadly Parkland shooting in February, according to a report published Monday.

The Risk Protection Order, signed by Florida Gov. Rick Scott just three weeks after a gunman killed 17 people at Stoneman Douglas, aims to temporarily remove weapons from gun owners who have been deemed by a judge to possibly be a threat to themselves or others.

Roughly 200 firearms have been confiscated in the state since the law was enacted, Sgt. Jason Schmittendorf, of the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, told WFTS-TV. "Around 30,000 rounds of ammunition" were also taken, he said.

A five-person team in the county that's worked solely on the risk protection law reportedly has filed 64 risk protection petitions in court. Broward County, according to the news outlet, has filed 88 risk protection petitions since March.

"It’s a constitutional right to bear arms and when you are asking the court to deprive somebody of that right we need to make sure we are making good decisions, right decisions and the circumstances warrant it,” Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri told the station in defense of the task force..........

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/30/more-than-450-people-in-florida-ordered-to-give-up-guns-under-new-law-report-says.html
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Applewood

Temporaily?  Yeah right. 

Sounds like the law violates due process rights. Hope this law is challenged in the courts. Take it to SCOTUS.

Offline Victoria33

Temporaily?  Yeah right. 
Sounds like the law violates due process rights. Hope this law is challenged in the courts. Take it to SCOTUS.
@Applewood

"...temporarily remove weapons from gun owners who have been deemed by a judge to possibly be a threat to themselves or others."

If a person owning a gun is disliked by one on the team deciding if the gun gets taken, that person's gun is gone. 

Someone who doesn't like a person who has a gun, can complain to the court, trying to get his/her gun taken away from him/her.

Someone the Judge doesn't like can get his/her gun taken away from him/her.

This is a very bad law.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:42:22 pm by Victoria33 »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
@Applewood

"...temporarily remove weapons from gun owners who have been deemed by a judge to possibly be a threat to themselves or others."

If a person owning a gun is disliked by one on the team deciding if the gun gets taken, that person's gun is gone. 

Someone who doesn't like a person who has a gun, can complain to the court, trying to get his/her gun taken away from him/her.

This is a very bad law.

Also....in general, how many people over 65 years old are taking some form of anxiety medication?

That's certainly a target rich environment in which to disarm citizens.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:46:43 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Every petition filed under the order in Pinellas County has so far been granted by the judge, according to the report.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/30/more-than-450-people-in-florida-ordered-to-give-up-guns-under-new-law-report-says.html

“To the subject of this protection order: This order is valid until the date noted above. You are required to surrender all firearms and ammunition that you own in your custody, control, or possession. You may not have in your custody or control, or purchase, possess, receive, or attempt to purchase or receive, a firearm or ammunition while this order is in effect. You must surrender immediately to the (insert name of local law enforcement agency) all firearms and ammunition in your custody, control, or possession and any license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm issued to you under s. 790.06, Florida Statutes. A hearing will be held on the date and at the time noted above to determine if a risk protection order should be issued. Failure to appear at that hearing may result in a court issuing an order against you which is valid for 1 year. You may seek the advice of an attorney as to any matter connected with this order.”[/b]

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.401.html

Well, you know.....confiscation first - due process later.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 01:27:03 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Also....in general, how many people over 65 years old are taking some form of anxiety medication?

That's certainly a target rich environment in which to disarm citizens.

The over 65 group?

Look again.

One in six Americans take some kind of psychiatric drugs — mostly antidepressants, researchers reported Monday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/one-6-americans-take-antidepressants-other-psychiatric-drugs-n695141

Offline roamer_1

There's the problem with telling em anything.

Buy used off the back of a truck and STFU

Online DCPatriot

The over 65 group?

Look again.

One in six Americans take some kind of psychiatric drugs — mostly antidepressants, researchers reported Monday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/one-6-americans-take-antidepressants-other-psychiatric-drugs-n695141

Was aware of that.

But if we want to talk about percentage of the over 65 group...it has to be at least 65% take or have taken some type of anxiety drug.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

There's the problem with telling em anything.

Buy used off the back of a truck and STFU

Again @roamer_1 , you live in Big Skies....hard to do effectively in a densely populated jurisdiction.

Offline roamer_1

Again @roamer_1 , you live in Big Skies....hard to do effectively in a densely populated jurisdiction.

Give me 500 bucks and plant me anywhere in these United States and I will have a gun in less than two days.

Online DCPatriot

Give me 500 bucks and plant me anywhere in these United States and I will have a gun in less than two days.

Don't disagree with that.

Offline roamer_1

Don't disagree with that.

Well... All that's left is the STFU part...

:shrug: :tongue2:

Online DCPatriot

Well... All that's left is the STFU part...

:shrug: :tongue2:

:beer:

Offline roamer_1

:beer:

Not meaning to be flippant... I am sorry for that. But I have kin in Chicago, and as far back as my grandfather, they have all been armed. Law be damned. And it don't get much more regulated than Chicago.

Online DCPatriot

Not meaning to be flippant... I am sorry for that. But I have kin in Chicago, and as far back as my grandfather, they have all been armed. Law be damned. And it don't get much more regulated than Chicago.

LOL!  Didn't take it as an insult.  I 'feel' ya.

The original point was that a lot more people will be turned into felons...in the name of self-defense.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Was aware of that.

But if we want to talk about percentage of the over 65 group...it has to be at least 65% take or have taken some type of anxiety drug.

65%? Source please.

https://www.acl.gov/sites/default/files/programs/2016-11/Issue%20Brief%205%20Prescription%20Med%20Misuse%20Abuse.pdf

Approximately 25 percent of older adults use prescription psychoactive medications that have a potential to be misused and abused.

Offline roamer_1

LOL!  Didn't take it as an insult.  I 'feel' ya.

The original point was that a lot more people will be turned into felons...in the name of self-defense.

Well, then maybe it's time to move.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
@Applewood

This is a very bad law.

Extremely bad law.  Governor Scott has some other issues on his record but this has to be the worst and this bozo is now running for the Senate.  As far as I know he is unopposed.  I cannot vote for someone who signed a bill infringing on the 2A. To me he's a RINO and I just can't vote for him. I'm leaning towards sitting this one out.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Now you tell me.  :whistle:

Online DCPatriot

65%? Source please.

https://www.acl.gov/sites/default/files/programs/2016-11/Issue%20Brief%205%20Prescription%20Med%20Misuse%20Abuse.pdf

Approximately 25 percent of older adults use prescription psychoactive medications that have a potential to be misused and abused.

But I'm not talking about that type.   I'm talking about Zoloft...or even Lexipro. 

They prescribe that stuff for seniors who suddenly start experiencing their bodies break down and start asking for CTScans/MRIs.    :laugh:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Now you tell me.  :whistle:

I think he means arrested within 2 days.    :police:
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
But I'm not talking about that type.   I'm talking about Zoloft...or even Lexipro. 

They prescribe that stuff for seniors who suddenly start experiencing their bodies break down and start asking for CTScans/MRIs.    :laugh:

So you just make up numbers out of thin air?

Online DCPatriot

So you just make up numbers out of thin air?

Just reading your posts in this stream....each one comes with qualifiers.

I'm only speaking about senior citizen gun owners who take a myriad of pills for high BP and other maladies, who don't see themselves healing but getting worse...only to be told to take an anxiety pill.

Bam!  You're on a list.

I'm not here to fight with you over the accuracy of numbers.

The other day I said 80 million followers Pres. Trump has on Twitter.   It's 54 million.  Still a lot, but yes, an exaggeration.  Next time, I'll type "...a billion".   

Offline Frank Cannon

What if I planted you in South Philly around Ridge and Sedgley? You would end up disappeared along with your $500.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
If a mental health professional says they are a danger to the public, yes.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.