Author Topic: The suspicious political timing of Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s retirement comments  (Read 318 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
By Aaron Blake
July 30 at 11:16 AM
Email the author
Supreme Court justices aren't supposed to be political actors, and they aren't supposed to time their retirements to ensure they are replaced with a like-minded justice.

But Ruth Bader Ginsburg's latest comment about when she will retire is almost impossible to separate from politics. Indeed, it almost seems to send a concerted signal to liberals not to worry about her handing President Trump another Supreme Court vacancy.

“I’m now 85,” Ginsburg told CNN. “My senior colleague Justice John Paul Stevens, he stepped down when he was 90. So think I have about at least five more years.”

This is a message that understandably cheered liberals. While Neil Gorsuch was the appetizer for conservatives, and Brett Kavanaugh would be the first course, a Ginsburg vacancy would be the feast. Unlike Trump's first two nominations to replace GOP appointees, replacing her with a conservative justice would clearly and unmistakably solidify the right's hold on the nation's highest court for years — and possibly decades. And given that Ginsburg is the court's oldest member at 85, it's a possibility that can't be ignored.

But with one quote, Ginsburg set the goal posts for her retirement in a suspiciously convenient place for liberals: when Trump probably won't be able to pick her replacement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/07/30/the-suspicious-political-timing-of-ruth-bader-ginsburgs-retirement-comments/
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
She may not be fully in charge of when her term comes to an end.

Offline Millee

Man plans, God laughs

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"This is a message that understandably cheered liberals. While Neil Gorsuch was the appetizer for conservatives, and Brett Kavanaugh would be the first course, a Ginsburg vacancy would be the feast."

They may have to carry Ruthie out of the building.
Only unknown is... "when".

Prediction:
If the Republicans pick up seats in the Senate in November (as expected), watch for Clarence Thomas to announce his retirement at the close of the Court's 2018/2019 term next June...