Author Topic: The GOP’s abandonment of free speech is almost complete  (Read 750 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The Republican Party is finalizing its transition from the party of free speech to the party of coerced speech. This metamorphosis is much like the GOP’s decision to go from defenders of free trade to defenders of protectionism. It was as subtle as a crocodile looking for its prey and moved about as quickly as one latching onto a turtle. A quick snap of the jaws and it’s down the hatch to be digested by stomach acid....

The latest attack on free speech comes from Congressmen Matt Gaetz and Devin Nunes. The pair – adhering to the yearning of their leader at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue – launched a multi-pronged attack on Twitter based on a Vice News report showing Twitter was shadow-banning conservatives i.e. not letting people find them in a search of Twitter....

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/07/29/gops-abandonment-free-speech-almost-complete/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: The GOP’s abandonment of free speech is almost complete
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 01:08:45 am »
Corporations are not people and are not entitled to free speech protections granted to American citizens.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 01:14:02 am »
Corporations are not people and are not entitled to free speech protections granted to American citizens.

Corporations are groups of people offering others a good or service. That would fall under the third clause, free association.

Twitter, like this site or any other, has every right to promote or demote any content they wish for their business, it is none of the government's business.

They built the platform for speech, they can choose what to let on that platform. Private property.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 02:10:04 am »
Corporations are groups of people offering others a good or service.
They are groups of blocks of money, shares, held by people, designed for the sole purpose of allowing people to dodge liability if the company loses more money than is invested into it.

A person cannot become part of a corporation, they can only buy shares in one. It is not human. It is not an association of humans. It is an association of MONEY.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 02:18:20 am »
Even if you dislike it, Corporations, under the law, have many rights and responsibilities much like real persons.

Bus. Law. 101
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 03:41:23 am »
They are groups of blocks of money, shares, held by people, designed for the sole purpose of allowing people to dodge liability if the company loses more money than is invested into it.

A person cannot become part of a corporation, they can only buy shares in one. It is not human. It is not an association of humans. It is an association of MONEY.

@jmyrlefuller

Corporations are groups of people banded together to do something they could not do individually.  Nothing more or less than that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 05:59:23 am »

Its not just twitter but everywhere.  Republicans have never been more divided.  I was at a private get together and I mentioned a certain Senator I liked.  Immediately I felt like I should not have opened my mouth.  It is so crazy that what people used to value, Conservatism isn't valued any longer.  You are either fully for Trump or against him.  Therefore if you like anyone who has any criticism for the president you hate him.  This is divisive.  I can get behind Trump or not depending on what he is doing.  I don't like the lies, but will applaud when he does good.  I held my ground.  Not everyone is going to be Trump bots.

This is very sad and maybe Trump can win or he can't without Conservatives who don't always fall in line with him.  I find it very sad because I think united we could accomplish great things.  I have never in all my entire life had a president that I would not criticize and I won't start now.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:51:00 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.