Author Topic: First responders can be haunted by close encounters with suffering and death  (Read 242 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

From the start of his career, Rick Stack knew the kind of firefighter he wanted to be: one who stood out as a leader, with unshakable calm under pressure — the authority known as “command presence.”

That command was what Stack aspired to as he strode across spilled gasoline and broken glass at accidents, or charged into rooms electric with panic on medical calls. It was a gift he could give people in the worst moments of their lives: the relief of seeing someone take control. At his best, Stack says, it felt like he could do anything — and like nothing he walked into could touch him, no matter how bad.

“I thought I was bulletproof,” he says. “I thought nothing ever bothered me.”...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/07/28/firefighter-haunted-horrors-past/8zzkHhJXTt9U1vkq4UMAGJ/story.html?p1=BGHeader_SmartBar_Breaking?s_campaign=breakingnews:newsletter

I'm not sure what I think about this.  As a long-time medic and not a firefighter, maybe it was different for us.  Or, for me.  I can still see some of those faces, but I'm at peace with them now.  Maybe it's a matter of enough distance and faith in God.