Author Topic: The 10 Most Destructive Americans of My 8 Decades  (Read 10625 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: The 10 Most Destructive Americans of My 8 Decades
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2018, 09:15:01 pm »
A serious question: Is there a nation in Europe, or a State in our Union, that has done the requisite "shuttering?"

I just heard a commentator on the radio, note that governments at all levels, enact scores of laws, which overtime stay on the books, yet go unenforced.

In turn he stated that situation contributes to loss of respect for "rule of law," and for government in general.

Caught a bad case of that when I noticed my own county and state governments not only not enforce immigration laws, but conspired with organized groups to shelter and feed them...suddenly they constructed portable class rooms on every campus.

Took the attitude...if you can't beat them join them.   :shrug:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:15:40 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2018, 09:45:38 pm »
Thank you, MOD!

Yes.  What are the 3 things people are not supposed to discuss?  Seems like it's sex, politics and religion (the things people are really interested in)

I'm sure the Civil War is on the list somewhere.  MOD saved me from posting a long tale about a great grandfather which would have bored the hell out of everybody.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2018, 09:51:25 pm »
We can talk about sex. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2018, 10:12:26 pm »
I'm sure the Civil War is on the list somewhere.  MOD saved me from posting a long tale about a great grandfather which would have bored the hell out of everybody.

I'll go.  I have a GGG uncle, who migrated from New Brunswick Canada, with his older brother and wife, in 1856. Settled near Minneapolis.

Went to Wisconsin or Michigan, joined Union forces. His Baptistt faith opposed slavery.

He was blinded in battle, held POW, exchanged and returned home, to marry his fiancée and live out his days in Anoka Minn.

"Samuel Patterson Starrett
Source: History of Anoka County and the Towns of Champlin and Dayton in Hennepin County, Minnesota, by Albert M. Goodrich (1905) Transcribed by A. Newell.

Samuel Patterson S..... was born Sept. 27, 1835, at Caledonia, N. B., and came to Minnesota in 1856, settling at Monticello, where he farmed for four years, and went to the copper country at Lake Superior. He enlisted for the Civil War in the First Michigan Volunteer Infantry, and served thirteen months. He was shot through the head and lost his eyesight in battle, was taken prisoner and retained at Libby Prison for a time. He was soon after exchanged and discharged and returned to Michigan, where he was nursed back to health and strength. Again he returned to Monticello, where he was married June 2, 1863, to Jane L. J.... of that place, the girl who remained faithful to vows made before the sad affliction. The couple spent three years in Michigan, but removed to Anoka in 1866. Mr. S.... was appointed postmaster Feb. 4, 1868, and served nearly five years. Children: Fannie A., Carrie L. (Mrs. F. A. Piper, Minneapolis), and Alice M. "

http://genealogytrails.com/minn/anoka/bios-p.html

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2018, 10:14:11 pm »
John Dewey should have been on this list.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2018, 11:15:44 pm »
John Dewey should have been on this list.

When did he depart this world?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2018, 11:17:14 pm »
I don't know if J. F'n Kerry should be at the top of the list, but there is something I can say about him:

John Kerry:
A traitor in war, a traitor in peace, and a traitor to the hearts of his countrymen...

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2018, 11:19:13 pm »
When did he depart this world?

Early 50s.  He fits well within the 80-year limit, unlike Woodrow Wilson.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2018, 12:00:33 am »
Early 50s.  He fits well within the 80-year limit, unlike Woodrow Wilson.

Well he definitely did enough to be on the list IMHO.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2018, 05:01:35 am »
Gee, all ten are Democrats.  I'm beginning to see a pattern here.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2018, 05:57:49 am »
Well he definitely did enough to be on the list IMHO.

We're still suffering from the after-effects of the Wilson Presidency.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2018, 12:32:34 pm »
I'm pretty pissed at C.A. Arthur for creating the "Civil Service" cocoon that has enabled the army of bureaucrats to eat out our substance.  But you're right, Wilson was probably in the top ten of rotten Presidents.  Thank Goodness the Senate had the good sense to refuse admission to the foolish LoN.

If you would put Wilson on the list, don't leave out this guy: Edward Mandell house
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2018, 12:37:39 pm »
@INVAR

I highly doubt we are going to abolish the forms to which we have become accustomed.  Such is history and human nature, and a very rare thing that happens.

Either we get back to the basics and abolish those forms, or they will, in time, abolish us.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2018, 12:39:38 pm »
Nope!  One hell of a lot of people hold that opinion including myself.
Ditto. And when the dust had settled, we no longer had a Federal Government, but a National Government.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2018, 12:54:34 pm »
A serious question: Is there a nation in Europe, or a State in our Union, that has done the requisite "shuttering?"

I just heard a commentator on the radio, note that governments at all levels, enact scores of laws, which overtime stay on the books, yet go unenforced.

In turn he stated that situation contributes to loss of respect for "rule of law," and for government in general.
Keep in mind that a lot of Federal Laws have either required States to legislate in a particular manner, or made funding conditional on such legislation. Unfunded mandates abound.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2018, 01:34:09 pm »
We're still suffering from the after-effects of the Wilson Presidency.

Definitely and grossly so!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2018, 01:38:09 pm »
If you would put Wilson on the list, don't leave out this guy: Edward Mandell house

I wouldn't leave anyone associated with the Wilson administration out personally!  Edward Bernays in particular!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2018, 04:17:09 pm »
Either we get back to the basics and abolish those forms, or they will, in time, abolish us.

Few actually allow themselves to consider that.  We are invincible in their minds apparently, except when a Democrat is running for high office - then the nation's survival is at stake.

But foundational principles as 'basics'?  Nah, we don't need 'em they tell us. 

Heck, just had a member here argue with me that it is absolutely necessary for Trump to lie to the American people, in order to 'keep us safe'.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2018, 04:29:48 pm »
Few actually allow themselves to consider that.  We are invincible in their minds apparently, except when a Democrat is running for high office - then the nation's survival is at stake.

But foundational principles as 'basics'?  Nah, we don't need 'em they tell us. 

Heck, just had a member here argue with me that it is absolutely necessary for Trump to lie to the American people, in order to 'keep us safe'.
I really don't see departure from the seminal principles of our republic as keeping anything but a few specific and narrow interests "safe". If we discard our true national identity, we are not the nation that was founded, but something else. Considering that we were indeed blessed with a rare group of men who placed the welfare of their posterity above and beyond their personal interests, pledging their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor to that cause and often divested of he former two as a result, they retained that honor in creating a unique and wonderful Republic. As those principles are discarded, with rare exception, the result is not improvement, but decay, and the rot has been growing.
If the body is to continue to exit or even flourish, the rot, the corruption, needs to be removed so it can heal. Discarding principle, however, is the equivalent of cutting away the healthy flesh and keeping the rot.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2018, 05:08:51 pm »
If we discard our true national identity, we are not the nation that was founded, but something else.

Sadly, even self-identifying Conservatives have conceded that we have moved past what we were founded to be, and need to move forward, and stop looking backwards.  To quote a Republican Party Hack justifying Big Government Liberalism, deficit spending, abortion and homosexual marriage.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2018, 05:32:08 pm »
[quote author=truth_seeker link=topic=32641

Oh, I've got so many from my genealogy, but I just want to say that the sickening numbers of casualties from the War Between the States does not tell the whole story.

Your ancestor was blinded.  Mine was rendered deaf from cannon fire and died young probably from the war.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2018, 09:33:41 pm »
@TomSea

Two things:

!. Never try to put words in my mouth that I never said.

2. You STILL don't know what the hell you are taking about and insist on displaying the fact!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:42:40 pm by MOD3 »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2018, 10:30:12 pm »
REDACTED

@Axeslinger, please refer to my comment upthread:

Please stick to the topic.  This is not a thread about the Civil War, nor the relative morality of the two sides.  Further comments along those lines will be deleted in whole.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:49:04 pm by Mod5 »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2018, 03:57:35 am »
For body count Margret Sanger is a top 10.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2018, 04:40:14 am »
Actually, I think John Roberts belongs, too.  In the unConstitutional rewriting of legislation, he managed to allow the ACA (Obamacare) to stand, costing millions of Americans their health insurance, and countless dollars in costs incurred by not only those who had to pay out of pocket for health care, but the countless dollars more it cost those with insurance to keep it. Neither the economic damage nor human cost can be assessed, and it is ongoing despite some tepid efforts to mitigate some of the damage.

C S Lewis