Author Topic: Is Facebook Really in Trouble?  (Read 385 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Is Facebook Really in Trouble?
« on: July 28, 2018, 06:53:48 pm »
Is Facebook Really in Trouble?
by Daniel Carter

Yesterday, Facebook’s stock plummeted nearly 20% after the company missed earnings. It was the biggest one-day loss in market value of any US-listed company ever. This was truly a frantic and radical repricing. But I can’t say that I’m surprised.

The storm clouds have been on the horizon for quite some time. Economist and demographer Neil Howe noticed that things were not well with Facebook several months ago. Howe saw a distinct change in the way the public viewed Facebook; from a fun platform to an untrustworthy platform that is sucking precious time. Because engagement with the platform is everything in terms of Facebook’s revenue, this changing public perception could be catastrophic for the company.

Facebook’s image took a massive blow when it was discovered that Cambridge Analytica and other companies were scraping users’ personal data to influence election results. This encouraged the public to seek more detailed answers on how their data was being used and what data was being collected. It turns out that the amount of data they have on you is startlingly immense, and that means they use your data in all sorts of ways, including mind control (not kidding).

more at: http://www.investmentwatchblog.com/is-facebook-really-in-trouble/
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Is Facebook Really in Trouble?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 07:15:04 pm »
Facebook is so Myspace!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 07:38:01 pm »
Scott Adams' Periscope this morning, regarding Twitter "shadow banning topic

Much more iformative than reading, discussing artiles from dinosours like Bill Kristol, George Will, Carl Rove etc.)

Deal with the algorithms whereby platforms direct activity, "common sense," "facts," etc.

! No longer available

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 07:43:21 pm »
Facebook is so Myspace!

But just an observation here...

This happened two days ago, and there wasn't one thread on the board anywhere about it. 

Largest one day drop in history.  And he unloaded a shitload of shares recently.  Under investigation by the....I won't say 'government', because under Barack Obama, Google and Facebook together had a THOUSAND meetings inside the White House, or within a mile of it.

When we're seeing Hillary and Obama's deeds going unpunished, you get a bit cynical about what 'government' can or can't do.

The point is, that the Senate is interested in what Zuckerburg has to say about just how much data FB collects on subscribers.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 07:47:58 pm »
Scott Adams' Periscope this morning, regarding Twitter "shadow banning topic

Much more iformative than reading, discussing artiles from dinosours like Bill Kristol, George Will, Carl Rove etc.)

Deal with the algorithms whereby platforms direct activity, "common sense," "facts," etc.

Surprised that somebody hasn't tried to start up a track-free Facebook for 'Conservatives'.

I'm thinking...the 'Chick-fil-A' of platforms.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:48:36 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 08:32:24 pm »
Surprised that somebody hasn't tried to start up a track-free Facebook for 'Conservatives'.

Just my
own feedback to you. I have been posting "podcasts and youtubers, HERE, RECENTLY.

It will be some time into the near future. Certain conservatives are not "Early Adopters."

Glenn Becks' "The Blaze," Mark Levin's "CTV," Ben Shapiro's "Daily Wire," are but a few of the emerging type of subscription services. Scott Adams and others get some revenue via Patreon. 

Feedback here, indicates little market to go beyond the current status quo.

Cable cutting pushes the need o find new alternatives.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 08:40:28 pm »

I've wondered that too.