Author Topic: At Least 27 Missing, Feared Dead, in Myanmar Jade Mine Landslide  (Read 320 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
At Least 27 Missing, Feared Dead, in Myanmar Jade Mine Landslide
2018-07-25

Rescue workers view the site of a landslide at a Hpakant jade mine in Myanmar, July 24, 2018.

At least 27 people are missing and feared dead following the collapse early Tuesday of a slag heap at a jade mine in northern Myanmar’s Kachin state, with heavy rains hampering recovery efforts, sources in Myanmar said.

A search is now being carried out with backhoes in the Sait Mu village group of Kachin’s Hpakant township, site of the collapse, village official Maung Ngwe told RFA’s Myanmar Service on Wednesday.

“The work is being led by the General Administrative Department, together with the fire department, the Red Cross, and civil society organizations, but no one has been found yet,” Maung Ngwe said.

Read more at: https://www.rfa.org/english/news/myanmar/landslide-07252018154100.html

The hill in the picture even looks a bit blue-green.

Offline Suppressed

Re: At Least 27 Missing, Feared Dead, in Myanmar Jade Mine Landslide
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 04:18:56 pm »
The hill in the picture even looks a bit blue-green.

Yup...Myanmar’s jade is jadeite, which is a form of pyroxene.  Even the non-jade pyroxene found in association with the jade has a greenish tint.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn