Author Topic: It's Hot Outside: How to Stay Safe When Thermometers Rise  (Read 343 times)

rangerrebew

It's Hot Outside: How to Stay Safe When Thermometers Rise
« on: July 27, 2018, 02:13:48 pm »
It's Hot Outside: How to Stay Safe When Thermometers Rise

FRIDAY, July 27, 2018 -- As much of the United States continues to swelter through 90-plus temperatures and high humidity, one emergency physician is offering advice on keeping safe.

First, Dr. Robert Glatter said, it's important to know that anyone can be a victim of heat stroke, but some people are at particular risk.

"Heat stroke develops when the body is unable to effectively sweat to cool itself down," said Glatter, an emergency physician at Lenox Hill Hospital, in New York City. "As core temperatures rapidly elevate, the skin becomes dry and your heart rate begins to elevate."

https://www.drugs.com/news/s-hot-outside-safe-thermometers-rise-75949.html
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:14:21 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Re: It's Hot Outside: How to Stay Safe When Thermometers Rise
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 02:59:29 pm »
The gas company is digging up the next street over from mine.  Yesterday, an ambulance had to haul one of the employees to the hospital.  Apparently, he suffered from some heat-related illness.  Oddly, it hasn't been all that hot out, but the relentless humidity and stagnant air can kill you.  If you are going to work or play outside, you have to take breaks and you have to keep hydrated.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: It's Hot Outside: How to Stay Safe When Thermometers Rise
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 03:17:55 pm »
https://www.everydayhealth.com/sanjay-gupta/if-you-are-not-sweating-it-could-be-heatstroke.aspx

If You're Not Sweating, It Could Be Heatstroke

Know the signs of heatstroke. The most important is the least obvious: You stop sweating.

Heat illnesses don’t hit suddenly. They progress over hours or even days. The first warning sign may be heat cramps. If you ignore those, you may progress to what doctors call heat exhaustion.

Heat exhaustion is characterized by excessive thirst, heavy sweating, nausea, and lightheadedness. These symptoms are your body telling you to get out of the heat, relax, and rehydrate.

The most serious of the heat illnesses is heatstroke, sometimes called sunstroke. In heatstroke, the body’s temperature has reached 104 degrees. The most noticeable difference between heat exhaustion and heatstroke is that the body stops sweating.

I had the first sign early this morning. I woke up with a hellacious leg cramp. I tend to get those after a day of pushing myself too hard out in the heat.