Author Topic: No More Free Lunch! San Francisco Looks to Ban Tech Companies’ Employee Cafes  (Read 272 times)

Offline goodwithagun

San Francisco’s working population is so homogenous that, when tech companies in the area (like Uber and Twitter) provide free lunches to employees, local restaurants are left empty.

That’s why the city is considering new legislation to end free lunch, a now standard benefit provided by upstart tech companies in the Bay Area. The bill, introduced on Tuesday by San Francisco Supervisors Ahsha Safaí and Aaron Peskin, seeks to prohibit new companies from opening in-house cafeterias.

“We see thousands of employees in a block radius that don’t go out to lunch and don’t go out in support of restaurants every day, because they don’t have to,“ Ryan Corridor, owner of Corridor, a restaurant in downtown San Francisco, told CBS.

Read more here: http://observer.com/2018/07/san-francisco-tech-company-free-lunch-ban/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=social+flow&utm_content=main&utm_medium=social
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

I think they should. I really, really, do.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline berdie

Well, at my office we don't have a café or catering. We do have lunchmeat, bread, soup, eggs, bacon and things like that.

It was started for employees who didn't want to spend tons of money going out to eat, didn't have time or bad weather.

I've always appreciated it.