Author Topic: White House bans CNN reporter from Rose Garden event  (Read 6864 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: White House bans CNN reporter from Rose Garden event
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2018, 08:58:08 pm »
I would suggest something like a 10 day suspension for poor manners, followed by a period of probation.

Reporters have the right and duty to question authority but not to make asses out of themselves.

Nope!

President Trump's style is "You're fired!!"

With that in mind, he's saying keep sending me trash and it's being tossed.  Send me polite.  Send me professional.

He responds to shouted questions more often than not.  But they should remember the venue.  This isn't the South Lawn waiting to board Marine One.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2018, 09:00:41 pm »
Cronkite  was good for the subtle stuff like declaring the Vietnam war a hopeless loss right after Tet, a huge US victory.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2018, 09:01:49 pm »
I would suggest something like a 10 day suspension for poor manners, followed by a period of probation.

Reporters have the right and duty to question authority but not to make asses out of themselves.

They also have no right to take over press conferences in order to steer the narrative. You wanna ask a question about Michael Cohen? Fine ask once then shut the ^%$ up.

This badgering crap is simply a crude attempt to make the news CNN wants to report. Theres no good reason to put up with it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2018, 09:38:45 pm »
Yes.  Cronkite definitely parsed the news a bit but he was far more subtle about it which resulted in nobody knowing or resenting it.

The media has become so overtly biased that people don't trust them for straight news anymore

Walter Cronkite lied continuously but you didn't know because you had no way to know.  Those of us who had been there knew it instantly.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2018, 09:46:31 pm »
What are they gonna do, file negative stories about Trump and his administration? Boycott news briefings? Do more negative opinion pieces?
I really miss the days when they gave the news straight first and then declared opinion pieces after. Even though we knew the anchors(Cronkite) slipped their bias into stories it was never as overt as what we are shoveled today.

We didn’t have the Internet back then. With it, we have the ability, as average citizens, to combat stuff like that.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2018, 09:57:19 pm »

I totally disagree with that.  Public servants should be willing and able to answer difficult questions and should not stifle the press.  I despise the MSM, but to try to place bounds as to which public events and items they can cover is a horrible idea.

@Bigun @Emjay

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2018, 10:03:11 pm »
I totally disagree with that.  Public servants should be willing and able to answer difficult questions and should not stifle the press.  I despise the MSM, but to try to place bounds as to which public events and items they can cover is a horrible idea.

@Bigun @Emjay

@sanquine

That's ok.  I won't hate you for being wrong.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2018, 10:09:06 pm »

@Bigun @Emjay

Sang,  Grow a pair (figuratively cuz we don't need no Chaz Bono's hang'n round here) and get your mind right on this subject. These people are not "public servants".  They are agents of chaos and should be shunned banned and other things that good taste and decorum prohibits me from listing in this establishment.   :cool:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:10:20 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2018, 10:17:03 pm »
@sanquine

That's ok.  I won't hate you for being wrong.

Back at you, @Bigun.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2018, 10:19:25 pm »
Sang,  Grow a pair (figuratively cuz we don't need no Chaz Bono's hang'n round here) and get your mind right on this subject. These people are not "public servants".  They are agents of chaos and should be shunned banned and other things that good taste and decorum prohibits me from listing in this establishment.   :cool:

Yeah, they are.  However, banning a member of the press because you don't like the questions they ask is banana republic like.

And, thanks for the advice, but I don't need a pair to know what's right and what isn't.  But, if they help you think, that's great.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2018, 10:24:33 pm »
It is what separates the men from the boys and hysterical females. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2018, 10:25:41 pm »
Back at you, @Bigun.

Look @Sanguine.  I have no problem with a reporter asking any question he likes but I do have a problem with being disrespectful and generally making an ass of himself to ask it.  And just so you know, I don't need to watch a video as I saw what unfolded live and in color.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2018, 10:27:23 pm »
It is what separates the men from the boys and hysterical females.

Ah, I see that thinking with them doesn't work after all.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2018, 10:30:08 pm »
Look @Sanguine.  I have no problem with a reporter asking any question he likes but I do have a problem with being disrespectful and generally making an ass of himself to ask it.  And just so you know, I don't need to watch a video as I saw what unfolded live and in color.

It was a her, not a him, and she was pretty respectful.  She wasn't yelling or screaming, though there was a lot of other people shouting questions around her. 

BTW - the reporter in question worked for Tucker Carlson for some time and is well thought of over there. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2018, 10:36:18 pm »
It was a her, not a him, and she was pretty respectful.  She wasn't yelling or screaming, though there was a lot of other people shouting questions around her. 

BTW - the reporter in question worked for Tucker Carlson for some time and is well thought of over there.

I KNOW it was a  her in this specific case.  My comment was meant to be genaric!  And you obviously didn't see what I saw.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2018, 10:46:24 pm »
If any reporters were shouting, it was to be heard over that annoying, shrieking blonde harpy at every event yelling, "We're done!  Let's go!  We're leaving!"  You can see/hear her behind the couch at the 25 sec mark.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:48:51 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2018, 11:28:15 pm »
If any reporters were shouting, it was to be heard over that annoying, shrieking blonde harpy at every event yelling, "We're done!  Let's go!  We're leaving!"  You can see/hear her behind the couch at the 25 sec mark.

! No longer available

Yeah, I don't see it, edpc.  She's respectful, not shouting, calls him "Mr. President".   And, you're right, the harpy was obnoxious.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2018, 11:49:35 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2018, 04:33:56 am »
Yeah, I don't see it, edpc.  She's respectful, not shouting, calls him "Mr. President".   And, you're right, the harpy was obnoxious.

She's at most events doing that.  They actually have a job called press wrangler.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2018/05/18/thank-you-now-get-out-of-here-the-difficult-job-of-a-trump-press-wrangler/
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2018, 01:01:29 pm »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2018, 02:00:32 pm »
Definitely can't be both right.

I'll bet it can be generally agreed this doesn't rise to the level of a First Amendment violation....

Maybe a wrong move, maybe just bad optics, but that's it, AFIK.
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2018, 03:45:36 pm »
Definitely can't be both right.

You listening to Billy Joel again on 8-Trac?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2018, 03:58:52 pm »
I'll bet it can be generally agreed this doesn't rise to the level of a First Amendment violation....

Maybe a wrong move, maybe just bad optics, but that's it, AFIK.

As long as it's a one-off.  If it becomes a trend, that's another story.  And, even if it doesn't, it doesn't make it right.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2018, 04:12:59 pm »
As long as it's a one-off.  If it becomes a trend, that's another story.  And, even if it doesn't, it doesn't make it right.

I'm still in the "undecided" camp about the rightness of this.  The Press scrum has been getting more and more bold about seizing control and the direction of Press Conferences, and while I think that should be the case to some degree, that direction has the flavor of a hostile bias against the Right (not just against the President).
I will NOT comply.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2018, 04:24:40 pm »

Oh, please.  Did the President ban all press from the rose garden event?  Do we not have news video showing us exactly what was said? 

Does not the administration have a right and a responsibility to expect a modicum of decorum from the press when in the White House?  Do not the American people have this right, too?  The First Amendment is not a hall pass for drama queens and idiots. 

This President is more available to the media in a week than Obama or Bush were in a year.  President Trump can't cross the WH lawn without answering questions, and nine times out of ten he stops and let's the press have at him.  I've stopped posting those videos here because there's no interest in what the President had to say --- so maybe you're unaware of this phenomenon.

So stand down on these silly accusations and chastisements.  The administration's reaction to the free-for-all disrespectful media -- disrespectful to the President AND his guests --- is long overdue.