Author Topic: Doomed duck boat's designer had no engineering training, court documents reveal  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

As @thackney pointed out, the NTSB highlights that lifejackets are part of what causes deaths with canopies.  The NTSB doesn't recommend wearing a lifejacket with deployed canopies.  It might very well be part of why passengers died in the 1999 (though tight stowage of the lifejackets was another contributing factor).

The NTSB is an effing joke and even they admit that. They are underfunded and have no real authority. You know how they come up with their findings? Relying on the cooperation of the people they are investigating. Just look at how Tesla is yanking them around like they are a pitiful fat grade school kid. 

Offline Suppressed

The life jackets were on the duck boat.  That wasn't the problem.

They were not wearing them.  If they had been wearing them, the canopy design tends to trap people inside.

There it is.

Another problem noted with the 1999 accident was that when the Coast Guard had inspected, the lifejackets were laid out on the floor for inspection, so the Coast Guard never realized that when stowed, they were difficult to deploy.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

The NTSB is an effing joke and even they admit that. They are underfunded and have no real authority. You know how they come up with their findings? Relying on the cooperation of the people they are investigating. Just look at how Tesla is yanking them around like they are a pitiful fat grade school kid.

You can dismiss the NTSB recommendations.  But someone designing a public transport who dismisses buoyancy and egress needs is a fool risking lives of others.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline jpsb

The Coast Guard requires the lifejackets to be present, but not worn.

That is correct

Offline Suppressed

You can dismiss the NTSB recommendations.  But someone designing a public transport who dismisses buoyancy and egress needs is a fool risking lives of others.

What do you know...you probably have an education!

22222frying pan
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

You can shove that shit up your ass. If some hillbilly wants to build some stupid boat and a bunch of losers want to pay money to ride on it that's all of their problems, not mine. It's a free country, even to be stupid. You people spinning off the rails about it are the problem with this country. Don't like the boat with a canopy? Then stay the eff off of them and mind your own business.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

You can shove that shit up your ass. If some hillbilly wants to build some stupid boat and a bunch of losers want to pay money to ride on it that's all of their problems, not mine. It's a free country, even to be stupid. You people spinning off the rails about it are the problem with this country. Don't like the boat with a canopy? Then stay the eff off of them and mind your own business.

I've lived in third world countries where that was the case.  No thanks. 

I also saw the dead bodies and injuries at the same country for the same reasons.  OSHA wasn't even a suggestion at our job site.  Seven were killed and dozens severely injured just building a single (but large) facility.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The fool was the one who chose to operate that public transport.

Anybody can design anything.

A lightweight plane is a serious crash risk, yet many people choose to use them in spite of the likelihood they will crash and kill the pilot.  Yet people still do it.

Pulled this one from a few years ago in which the odds of getting killed in an ultralightweight are several times that of a conventional craft.

Why not just go after the designer as he must be at fault?

https://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/very-alarming-statistics.454/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Chuck Barris had no engineering experience.
People always have to place blame.  That is why we have lawyers.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.