Author Topic: The government has no idea how many gig workers there are—why that’s a problem  (Read 1262 times)

Offline endicom

Market Watch
Elisabeth Buchwald
July 21, 2018

It’s tough to measure something when no one can agree on what’s actually being measured

Antoinette Kunda wasn’t always rushing to make deliveries for strangers and pick up riders. Prior to the Great Recession, she worked as an executive administrative assistant at American Express AXP, -0.02% where she earned $80,000 a year, or approximately $6,667 a month.

Today, she works in the gig economy. “I do not consider myself having a primary job,” Kunda said. She works for Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, DoorDash, Grubhub and various other on-demand delivery and rideshare apps. “My primary job is putting a roof over my head,” she said.

Her current goal is to make $5,000 a month but, in reality, she said she is lucky if she can pocket $100 a day or $2,800 a month. Her income is notoriously unpredictable, which means she often has to work longer hours than when she had her 9 to 5 office job.

More... https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-government-has-no-idea-how-many-gig-workers-there-areheres-why-thats-a-problem-2018-07-18?mod=newsviewer_click

Offline endicom

I don't think this is anything new.

Offline dfwgator

Don't tell me, it's a 'problem' because they can't figure out how to tax it.

Offline endicom

The 'underground economy' is big and untaxed. It was said that the underground economy was what kept the USSR afloat.

Offline thackney

Do you think Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, DoorDash, Grubhub, etc are not reporting this income?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
She could easily get a "real" job but chooses to do this instead.

I know several "gig" workers and they are all on The Disability and working under the table. If you REALLY want to mess up your life, go on Medicaid and get caught making too much money. Pimps could take lessons from the Feds.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
She could easily get a "real" job but chooses to do this instead.
You assume that, but considering her previous salary, it's not unrealistic to think she's priced herself out of the job market.

If by "real job" you mean a waitress, cashier or factory drone, yeah, she can probably get a real job, but she wouldn't be that much better off.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
'Gig economy', in other words, freelancers/independent contractors.

It is a sector that is booming (in spite of California's attempt to squash it).

It isn't just for side hustle jobs like Uber drivers. Many professionals are moving into this for highly lucrative fields as they would rather work for themselves and set their own rules. I freelance on the side but have been very tempted to do this full time for years, especially as my hourly rate freelancing can be up to $150-$200/hour and I can set my own time, rules, and terms. Being at my company as long as I have I am hesitant versus waiting for a layoff due to a big severance, but also the ACA has made buying insurance an outrageous expense unless you take a pay cut and get subsidized.