Author Topic: AHA: ER Visits, Hospitalizations for AFib on the Rise  (Read 405 times)

rangerrebew

AHA: ER Visits, Hospitalizations for AFib on the Rise
« on: July 22, 2018, 02:00:55 pm »
AHA: ER Visits, Hospitalizations for AFib on the Rise

FRIDAY, July 20, 2018 (American Heart Association) -- Emergency room visits for atrial fibrillation are soaring. Added to the number of people admitted to the hospital for the condition, it's contributing to "an alarming growth" in its economic burden to the country, according to a new study.

Annual visits to the emergency department for this heart rhythm disorder, often called AFib, increased by 30.7 percent from 2007 to 2014, or from 411,406 visits to 537,801, according to a study published Friday in the Journal of the American Heart Association.

During the same period, hospitalizations for the condition increased 15.7 percent, from 288,225 to 333,570.

https://www.drugs.com/news/aha-er-visits-hospitalizations-afib-rise-75814.html

rangerrebew

Re: AHA: ER Visits, Hospitalizations for AFib on the Rise
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 02:02:12 pm »
I must have been one of the pioneers in the surge. 000hehehehe

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: AHA: ER Visits, Hospitalizations for AFib on the Rise
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 08:28:05 pm »
I must have been one of the pioneers in the surge. 000hehehehe
I had taken my wife to her cardiologist appointment and they called me back to her telling me to take her to the ER right away because she was experiencing AFib, seeing as the Hospital was basically across the street we were there and she was admitted in about five min(it helps to have your Doc on staff), she wasn't on the equipment for five minutes before alarms were going off and they  were rushing in with the crash cart. My wife's heart took a 8 second vacation before they could anything and rebooted on its own, the ER nurses told her she set a new record there. After that they kept her overnight but her heart never skipped a beat during that time.

Now we have a device called Kardia Mobile from AliveCor that works with the phone and she can check can take an EKG any time she feels like she might be going into AFib and she can send the reading right to her Cardiologist.