Author Topic: How Mao Zedong Helped to Reduce Poverty  (Read 357 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
How Mao Zedong Helped to Reduce Poverty
« on: July 22, 2018, 12:40:04 am »
Excerpt:

How Mao Zedong Helped to Reduce Poverty
By José Azel

This brings up the obvious question as to why has extreme poverty declined so dramatically as of late. To this question, International Development economist Steven Radelet offers a witty explanation: “In 1976, Mao single-handedly and dramatically changed the direction of global poverty with one simple act: he died.”

What these social scientists are pointing out is that, the death of Mao Zedong unleashed major causes for the worldwide decline of extreme poverty. In China, Mao’s death allowed the introduction of substantial free-market reforms by his successor Deng Xiaoping.

The poverty reduction success of free-market reforms in China has been dramatic. Since Mao’s death, the daily caloric consumption per person in China has increased from approximately 1,500 calories to 3,100 calories. This higher level is what U.S. guidelines recommend as needed for a highly active young man.

Read more at: https://panampost.com/jose-azel/2018/07/18/how-mao-zedong-helped-to-reduce-poverty/

Offline endicom

Re: How Mao Zedong Helped to Reduce Poverty
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 01:07:18 am »
IIRC, Deng was asked by a Westerner when he would further liberalize China. The reply was that he wouldn't let happen to China what had happened to Russia. I recall thinking that I couldn't argue with that as Russia had fallen into a deep pit.

I think the moral is that you shouldn't get into that spot to begin with.