Author Topic: More babies may be dying in Congo due to Dodd-Frank law on ‘conflict minerals’  (Read 729 times)

Offline endicom

Market Watch
Jeffry Bartash
July 20, 2018

Infant mortality surged after 2010 law passed that was supposed to curb violence, study finds

More than twice as many babies in the Democratic Republic of the Congo may be dying because of a U.S. bank law known as Dodd-Frank that tried to tame violence by armed gangs in the conflict-minerals trade but that appears to have caused more lethal results.

The Property and Environment Research Center, which examined a region in central Africa where so-called conflict minerals are heavily mined, said the U.S. effort appears to be impacting the region’s most vulnerable population as their families suffer economically.

PERC says a “conservative” estimate suggests infant mortality rose to 146 deaths per 1,000 births from 2010 to 2013 (the law went into effect in 2010), compared to a baseline of 60 deaths per 1,000.

More... https://www.marketwatch.com/story/more-babies-may-be-dying-in-congo-due-to-dodd-frank-law-on-conflict-minerals-2018-07-20?mod=newsviewer_click

Offline dfwgator

"But....but.....they had good intentions."

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
"But....but.....they had good intentions."

the Congo is a 3rd world shithole.  Not sure if "Dodd-Frank"* had beans to do with it.   The resounding "Maybe responsible" was the liberal give-away to a BS story.

*no fan of Dodd Frank.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline rustynail

‘conflict minerals’, The De Beers Group protection act?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
‘conflict minerals’, The De Beers Group protection act?

"Blood Diamonds"   :shrug:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

Speaking of that part of the world, whatever happened to that Kony dude the Left was all up in arms about a few years ago?

Offline endicom

Speaking of that part of the world, whatever happened to that Kony dude the Left was all up in arms about a few years ago?

Running a Starbucks in Biloxi. Unless that's just rumor.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I realize I'm dumb, but...
... what's a "conflict mineral" ...?