Author Topic: Apple Cider Vinegar Won't Cure Your Acid Reflux (or Other Digestive Woes)  (Read 2392 times)

Offline RoosGirl

I tried it multiple times it makes it worse.

It does work for some peopke.  There is an actual medical condition where people don't produce enough stomcah acid.  Those are the people the ACV helps. Maybe try the chia seed that roamer suggested. Beats the hell out of all the side effects of meds if the chia works for you.  Plus you can grow a beautiful garden in your gut.

I get why chia may work for people who produce too much stomach acid and if you've ever cooked or gardened with it you would too.  It soaks up and holds liquid in a weird bubble, for lack of a better word, around itself.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@Weird Tolkienish Figure   @RoosGirl

Those are the people the ACV helps.

It needs to be said that I have never used Apple Cider Vinegar in my life. Only white vinegar.

There may be a difference,and there may not be a difference when it comes to acid reflux relief. I don't know. I do know that if you have tried the Apple Cider Vinegar and it doesn't work for you,you need to try the White Vinegar and see if it works.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline RoosGirl

It needs to be said that I have never used Apple Cider Vinegar in my life. Only white vinegar.

There may be a difference,and there may not be a difference when it comes to acid reflux relief. I don't know. I do know that if you have tried the Apple Cider Vinegar and it doesn't work for you,you need to try the White Vinegar and see if it works.

I doubt there's anything magic about ACV versus any other type of vinegar.  I think it's just the addition of something acid for those people who don't produce enough stomach acid.  But whatever, I'm all about finding something at home that will work for me instead of going to the doctor for every little thing and being put on meds.  Some people are the opposite.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Some say get organic apple cider vinegar fermented with the "mother" like Bragg's, for the record, there is a much less costlier version of the same thing now. But I'm not sure if this is pertinent to acid reflux. They like to say this has a lot of benefits.

Online roamer_1

I tried it multiple times it makes it worse.

Pay mind to the dose.
Next time, rather than a hit of straight vinegar, Try eating a salad with a vinaigrette dressing, or eat a kosher dill.

I don't take vinegar shots very often (against stomach acid), though I do take a vinegar based tonic in the summer, and fire cider shots in the winter to aid health and prevent sickness...

I did dose with vinegar to begin with to prove the point, but in practice, I just greatly increased consumption of vinegary foods and fermented foods.

I might note the vegetable increase that brought - I was pretty much on a diet of bread, meat, potatoes, and cheese - I still eat those things with great relish, but at least half of what I shove down my throat is now vegetables of some kind.

Another aspect is stress - I carry my stress in my belly, and that causes an acid churn too. It took a total crash and burn for me to learn, but stress management can be another key thing. For me, that meant a lifestyle change back to my hillbilly roots, which I know is good. No more high pressure job, no more chasing the almighty buck... Now my mind is always set toward what I need to do to get back up into the sticks, which is where my particular peace lies.

One way or another, I found that continuing to mask the symptoms was enabling me to continue in the way that was killing me, and the 'medicine' was stealing the treasure I was chasing anyway.

Online roamer_1

I get why chia may work for people who produce too much stomach acid and if you've ever cooked or gardened with it you would too.  It soaks up and holds liquid in a weird bubble, for lack of a better word, around itself.

Almost literally frog's eggs when added to water. I can't eat em that way, though they work as a thickener - You can make jam with em, just adding to a fruit mash...

Great for hot days - eat a teaspoon of em and chug down a quart of water... makes your belly full, and retains the water in a slow release fashion through digestion.

Online roamer_1

Don't eat that crap... Clean with it, sure, but don't eat it.
You can get a gallon of organic apple cider vinegar (with the mother) for $5-10.
The reason for the mother is that it shows it ain't tainted. A live mother says it's pure apple cider vinegar.