Author Topic: He slept with a married woman. Now a judge says, pay the jilted husband $8.8 million  (Read 771 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
By Virginia Bridges

July 26, 2018 06:53 PM

A Durham County judge awarded the owner of a BMX bike stunt show company more than $8.8 million from the man he said seduced his wife and ruined his marriage.

Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson awarded Keith King more than $2.2 million in compensatory damages and three times that in punitive damages from Francisco Huizar III of San Antonio, Texas.

Huizar’s attorney said they will appeal...

https://www.heraldsun.com/news/local/crime/article215577310.html

I'm curious as to what TBRers will say about this.

Offline endicom

Seduced? It takes two to tango.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I'm curious as to what TBRers will say about this.

Was she hot?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:34:20 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline kidd

Adultery is the most awful non-violent thing that one person can do to another.
If people can seek damages due to other forms of stress, then adultery is certainly warranted as a form of stress.

But as far as the secular government is concerned, marriage is a contract. Unless there is a pre-nup in place, I'm not sure that punitive damages are applicable.

Offline goatprairie

Adultery is the most awful non-violent thing that one person can do to another.
If people can seek damages due to other forms of stress, then adultery is certainly warranted as a form of stress.

But as far as the secular government is concerned, marriage is a contract. Unless there is a pre-nup in place, I'm not sure that punitive damages are applicable.
I would think this thing would be unconstitutional. If someone can be awarded money for "emotional damage," then katy bar the door. The nation's courts will be flooded with similar suits.
Adultery is not good, but awarding money for it opens up a can of worms that can't be easily put back in the can.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Isn't the government sanction of marriage recognizing a contract?  And, if it's a contract, it's enforceable.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:54:41 am by Sanguine »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Wow talk about a Pandora's box.