Author Topic: No, Montenegro Is Not Essential To U.S. National Security Interests  (Read 273 times)

Offline corbe

No, Montenegro Is Not Essential To U.S. National Security Interests

Critics suggest it is ridiculous to question the idea that defending Montenegro via the North Atlantic Treaty Organization is necessary to keep America safe. They’re wrong.

By John Allen Gay   
July 19, 2018

“Why should my son go to Montenegro to defend it from attack?” asked Fox News host Tucker Carlson Tuesday night. President Trump’s response, “I understand what you’re saying. I’ve asked the same question,” has provoked a furor. So has his suggestion that the tiny Balkan state could “get aggressive, and congratulations, you’re in World War III.”

Critics suggest it is ridiculous to question the idea that defending Montenegro via the North Atlantic Treaty Organization is necessary to keep America safe. They’re wrong. Tiny states like Montenegro have little relevance to basic U.S. national security. Worse, the lack of debate around military commitments to these states is a symptom of a broader collapse in the national security conversation.

Let’s start with some basics. Montenegro is among the world’s smallest countries. It has about the population of Oklahoma City in a land area around the size of Connecticut. Its economy, at around $4.7 billion, is slightly smaller than the Valdosta, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area — America’s 327th-largest.

<..snip..>

http://thefederalist.com/2018/07/19/no-montenegro-not-essential-u-s-national-security-interests/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
His theme song From "The Good. The Bad, and the Ugly" was the bomb.   

! No longer available
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
We SHOULD BE questioning why we spend money to belong to a group including muslim Turkey.

Our British cousins voted to leave a group including countries encouraging migration from 3rd world muslim shitholes, which subject them to the consequent  harms.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln