Author Topic: In His Latest Account of His Meeting With Putin, Trump Says He Laid Down the Law  (Read 2140 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

@GrouchoTex

I’m reading Jonah Goldberg’s new book, Suicide of the West, and I think he has it nailed when he says that humans are hard-wired to want a strong leader they can look up to.  That’s been the way throughout history, and our Constitutional republic goes against that nature.  It requires vigilance to not give in to that adulation for leaders.

Obama and Trump are probably the most obvious modern examples of that, but we saw it at TOS with Palin lovers, too.

@CatherineofAragon

True, and I think Clinton and Perot had some of that, too.

How's the Book?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
My hope for our country is that Donald Trump gets tired of playing POTUS, and lets Mike Pence finish

The stupidity uttered by this guy is astounding.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

Trump is desperately trying to turn a train wreck into a success.  He is failing miserably -- well, at least to most rational people.  The hardcore Trump fans, on the other hand, still see him as a hero.  If Trump says the summit was a success, then to these fans, it was. 

I just would like to know what it will take for the fans to realize their mistake.  I thought maybe it was when Trump signed that spending spree bill.  But then he conned them into believing he was forced to sign that bill.  I guess it will take something adverse that hits close to home -- something that Trump can't excuse or divert blame to others about -- that may open their eyes.

Offline musiclady

@GrouchoTex

I’m reading Jonah Goldberg’s new book, Suicide of the West, and I think he has it nailed when he says that humans are hard-wired to want a strong leader they can look up to.  That’s been the way throughout history, and our Constitutional republic goes against that nature.  It requires vigilance to not give in to that adulation for leaders.

Obama and Trump are probably the most obvious modern examples of that, but we saw it at TOS with Palin lovers, too.

The similarities between the devotees of Obama, and those of Trump are remarkable.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The hardcore Trump fans, on the other hand, still see him as a hero.  If Trump says the summit was a success, then to these fans, it was. 

Quotes come across like bravado from some bad 40's Western.  Someone get Sheriff  Trump a plastic badge.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:09:28 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
The similarities between the devotees of Obama, and those of Trump are remarkable.

(Nailed It)

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon

True, and I think Clinton and Perot had some of that, too.

How's the Book?

@GrouchoTex

Yep, I think so, too.

I highly recommend the book---I'm learning a lot.

Silver Pines

@musiclady

Remember when someone said Trump's hardcore supporters wouldn't bat an eye if he gunned someone down?  I'll never forget a poster elsewhere who said "that's right, and we would be right there beside him, shooting."

That's deeply crazy.

Offline musiclady

@musiclady

Remember when someone said Trump's hardcore supporters wouldn't bat an eye if he gunned someone down?  I'll never forget a poster elsewhere who said "that's right, and we would be right there beside him, shooting."

That's deeply crazy.

DEEPLY.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

@GrouchoTex

The presidency was established by the U.S. constitution, so what are we talking about here? The kind of strong leader Goldberg babbles on about in his book historically has been any thug who happened to seize power for himself in some third world dictatorship through force and intimidation or other non democratic measures. That does not apply here in the case of Donald Trump.

Donald Trump, as head of the executive branch, is the only one who can currently, lawfully, exercise powers granted the president of the United State under article two of the constitution. Only he is in position to effect badly needed reforms and changes in Washington. And all it took was for him to win an election under conditions overwhelmingly stacked against him.

I support Donald Trump because I agree with his agenda and believe he’s got the personality, skills and drive to succeed and help raise America back up.

I also support him because he is an outsider with common sense and not a career politician.

Sorry if that frightens Jonah Goldberg.

Offline Suppressed

Compared to your apparent inability to see beyond a single option?

Excellent response, @skeeter

I realize I wasn't clear.

I'm not saying there is one option, when I say that the wrong option was selected. There were a number of paths, perhaps somewhat similar, but a number of them were better than the one chosen (cozy up to a rival at expense of America, obfuscate, lie, backtrack, etc.).
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline aligncare

Excellent response, @skeeter

I realize I wasn't clear.

I'm not saying there is one option, when I say that the wrong option was selected. There were a number of paths, perhaps somewhat similar, but a number of them were better than the one chosen (cozy up to a rival at expense of America, obfuscate, lie, backtrack, etc.).

How’s this For clarity:

It really is quite simple. Everyone is smart except Donald J. Trump. That’s why they all are billionaires and all got elected President. Only Trump does not know what he is doing. Only Trump does not know how to negotiate with Vladimir Putin. Anderson Cooper knows how to stand up to Putin. The whole crowd at MSNBC does. All the journalists do.

Read the rest and learn a little something:
https://spectator.org/everyone-is-smart-except-trump/

Silver Pines

The presidency was established by the U.S. constitution, so what are we talking about here? The kind of strong leader Goldberg babbles on about in his book historically has been any thug who happened to seize power for himself in some third world dictatorship through force and intimidation or other non democratic measures. That does not apply here in the case of Donald Trump.

Donald Trump, as head of the executive branch, is the only one who can currently, lawfully, exercise powers granted the president of the United State under article two of the constitution. Only he is in position to effect badly needed reforms and changes in Washington. And all it took was for him to win an election under conditions overwhelmingly stacked against him.

I support Donald Trump because I agree with his agenda and believe he’s got the personality, skills and drive to succeed and help raise America back up.

I also support him because he is an outsider with common sense and not a career politician.

Sorry if that frightens Jonah Goldberg.

@aligncare

Lol, “babbles.”  Have you read the book?  Regardless, it sounds like a nerve was struck. 

To be honest, I’ve believed the same thing for a while now,  but Jonah put it into better words than I could have.  Go back thousands of years, to the Israelites insisting they wanted a king.  We enjoy that sense of being awestruck by leadership.

Silver Pines

How’s this For clarity:

It really is quite simple. Everyone is smart except Donald J. Trump. That’s why they all are billionaires and all got elected President. Only Trump does not know what he is doing. Only Trump does not know how to negotiate with Vladimir Putin. Anderson Cooper knows how to stand up to Putin. The whole crowd at MSNBC does. All the journalists do.

@aligncare

What does his net worth (if it even is that much) have to do with anything?

I think Trump is far from dumb, but in no universe can blaming America for everything be construed as “standing up to Putin.”  The pretzel doesn’t twist that far.

Offline Concerned

How’s this For clarity:

I think there are plenty of smart people out there and plenty of not so smart people out there.  Unfortunately, I think Trump is in the later category..
When this supposedly “stable genius” corrected his supposed “misspeak” this week, he said what he really meant to say is “I will say this: I don't see any reason why it wouldn’t be.”  I’ve known a few people whom I’d consider genuine geniuses and none of them speak like this – in double negatives.  None of them consistently misuse and misspell words like he does.  None of them make the repeated mistakes like he does.  None of them make false statements at anywhere near the rate he does.  Nowhere near – and all of these falsehoods are coming from someone who claims to have “one of greatest memories of all time”.  Haha!

Instead of a “stable genius”, I think this guy just isn’t all that bright.  Look, I think he’s fantastic at marketing and branding (particularly himself) – and he made a fortune for himself doing just that (and got himself elected President), but when it comes to general intelligence, his words and actions cause me to conclude he’s just not that smart:  I’ve never seen truly smart people misuse language, grammar, and most importantly, FACTS the way this guy does.  JMO.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.