Author Topic: You Now Can't Leave the U.S. Unless the IRS Lets You  (Read 529 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
You Now Can't Leave the U.S. Unless the IRS Lets You
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:57:00 pm »
...It should not be surprising, then, that the US government is now cracking down on Americans who have outstanding tax bills — by holding their passports hostage. This could affect more than 360,000 Americans.
Former Congressman Bob Barr notes this week :
In an extremely troubling move three years ago, the Republican-controlled Congress handed the Internal Revenue Service the power to strip individuals of one of the most important and tangible rights possessed by American citizens – their passports. The Service is now starting to use this hammer.
Barr rightly points out that, given we already know the IRS uses its power to target political enemies, this new power of the agency is especially troubling.
He also asks how long other agencies might demand similar power from Congress, such as the power to stop a citizen's ability to "secure a driver’s license, obtain[...] a loan from a federally-insured financial institution, or clear[...] a background check prior to purchasing a firearm?".....

https://mises.org/wire/you-now-cant-leave-us-unless-irs-lets-you

Offline Jewbacca

• All Wookies Are Jewish
Re: You Now Can't Leave the U.S. Unless the IRS Lets You
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 08:03:16 pm »
All the more reason to hold several passports from several countries.  It's quite easy to do, and legal.

I hold Israeli, US, and Singapore because I travel so much.  Differing countries have differing visa options.
The residents of Iroquois Territory shall not determine if Jews may  live in Jerusalem.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 10:43:10 pm »
From a friend several years ago now.

http://www.actionamerica.org/taxecon/ticktick.shtml

Very good explanation of why the IRS is acting as it is  here.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 10:49:22 pm »
I don't see why people would have a problem with this...are we just supposed to let tax cheats leave the country and escape punishment?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:50:03 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 10:56:10 pm »
I don't see why people would have a problem with this...are we just supposed to let tax cheats leave the country and escape punishment?

They didn't say cheats, they said anyone who has an outstanding tax bill. Cheats implies criminal behavior, but hundreds of thousands of people who aren't criminals or cheats have outstanding bills with payment arrangements with the IRS. Having an outstanding bill is not a crime.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 11:01:02 pm »
They didn't say cheats, they said anyone who has an outstanding tax bill. Cheats implies criminal behavior, but hundreds of thousands of people who aren't criminals or cheats have outstanding bills with payment arrangements with the IRS. Having an outstanding bill is not a crime.

No it's not.

The article I read on this one a couple weeks ago talked about the IRS targeting people who owed high five or six figure amounts of back taxes that hadn't done anything you described.

I'm paying off my tax bill from 2017 in installments...I still have my passport.

I think the article you posted doesn't contain all the facts relevant to whom the IRS is targeting.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!