Author Topic: Man pulls 5-and-a-half foot tapeworm from his body; doctor suggests sushi to blame  (Read 721 times)

rangerrebew

Man pulls 5-and-a-half foot tapeworm from his body; doctor suggests sushi to blame
USA Today NetworkSean Rossman, USA TODAY Published 3:30 p.m. ET Jan. 20, 2018 | Updated 3:24 p.m. ET Jan. 21, 2018

A Fresno, Calif., man pulled a 5-and-a-half-foot long tapeworm from his body. His daily sushi habit may be the culprit.

On the "This Won't Hurt A Bit" podcast, Dr. Kenny Banh, an emergency medicine physician at UC—San Francisco's Fresno campus, told the stomach-churning story of the patient who came into his emergency department Aug. 7, 2017.

Banh, on the podcast, said the man came into Community Regional Medical Center complaining of bloody diarrhea and asking to be treated for worms. Bahn was a bit skeptical until the man showed him what was in the plastic grocery bag he was holding.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/01/20/man-pulls-5-and-half-foot-tapeworm-his-body-doctor-suggests-sushi-blame/1050899001/

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
You say you got worms? where did you get that idea, you just pull it out of your ass?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Yep.

I never buy raw fish sushi anymore. Only california roll, shrimp, salmon (cooked) etc.

Silver Pines

There's plenty of cooked fish I can eat without resorting to raw crap, and this story just confirmed the logic of it.

Offline RoosGirl

Raw fish is bait.

Silver Pines

Raw fish is bait.

@RoosGirl

But it's on a pretty plate and it's really hip to eat it!

Yeahhh, no.

Offline berdie

I've never had sushi and am not inclined to.

Years ago I was pan frying some really fresh fish and worms started sticking their heads out of the filet. I was told by a scientist friend that all fish have worms until they are really, really well cooked.

If I ever thought I might get adventurous and try sushi...that cured me. :laugh: Now..I did have cerviche once (I loved it) but that was prior to the worm episode.