Author Topic: Manafort Loses Effort to Keep Storage-Unit Evidence Out of Trial  (Read 509 times)

Offline Suppressed

Manafort Loses Effort to Keep Storage-Unit Evidence Out of Trial
By Andrew M Harris  and David Voreacos
July 10, 2018, 5:12 PM EDT
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-10/manafort-loses-effort-to-keep-storage-unit-evidence-out-of-trial

Paul Manafort lost a second attempt to block prosecutors from introducing evidence seized from his Virginia storage unit at one of his trials.

U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III, in Alexandria, Virginia, on Monday denied the former Trump campaign chairman’s request to declare the FBI’s search illegal or suppress the documents. Special Counsel Robert Mueller is using those documents to support claims that Manafort committed bank fraud and tax-related offenses.

Ellis took testimony from FBI agent Jeff Pfeiffer at a hearing on June 29. Defense attorneys said the agent had gotten an unauthorized glimpse at the unit’s contents from a Manafort employee.

"There are no grounds for suppression of the evidence recovered from the May 27, 2017 search of the storage unit," Ellis said at the conclusion of his 23-page ruling.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Manafort Loses Effort to Keep Storage-Unit Evidence Out of Trial
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 02:12:43 am »
He's been whiffing on these procedural motions.  If he gets denied on a venue change, they'll probably start negotiations on a deal.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.