Author Topic: Brett Kavanaugh: An Excellent Beginning  (Read 310 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Brett Kavanaugh: An Excellent Beginning
« on: July 10, 2018, 02:24:59 pm »
Brett Kavanaugh: An Excellent Beginning
Powerline, Jul 9, 2018, John Hinderaker

President Trump announced his appointment of D. C. Circuit Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court a few minutes ago. Trump was joined at the podium by Kavanaugh and his wife and two daughters. The event was, I think, superbly staged. Some observations:

1) President Trump’s introduction of Kavanaugh was beautifully conceived and delivered. Was there a teleprompter that I missed? Trump’s announcement seemed to be extemporaneous, and it was done flawlessly. Barack Obama was never able to talk off the cuff like this.

2) Trump emphasized Kavanaugh’s establishment credentials. With a razor-thin one-vote margin in the Senate, this is a good approach, and it probably accounts in large part for Trump’s selection of Kavanaugh. His credentials for the job are unimpeachable. If Trump has another opportunity to name a Justice, the Republicans will probably have a wider margin in the Senate and he may be free to choose a more controversial nominee.

3) The President praised Justice Anthony Kennedy rather effusively, and the fact that Kavanaugh clerked for Kennedy was emphasized. This was smart: the implication was that Kavanaugh will continue Kennedy’s tradition rather than being a radical departure from it, as the Democrats will assert.

<snip>

7) On the whole, I thought the announcement was beautifully managed. The audience gave Judge Kavanaugh and his family a warm reception that must have impressed unbiased viewers. The road to confirmation may be bumpy, given the Democrats’ lunacy, but it got off to an excellent start tonight.

Read more:  http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/07/brett-kavanaugh-an-excellent-beginning.php

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Brett Kavanaugh: An Excellent Beginning
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 02:29:19 pm »
No argument from me.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien