Author Topic: Where Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh stands on key issues (Abortion, Gun rights, etc.)  (Read 607 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: CNN

URL: https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/09/politics/kavanaugh-on-the-issues/index.html

By Clare Foran and Joan Biskupic,

Kavanaugh, 53, currently serves as a judge on the powerful US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Here's where he stands on some hot-button issues:

Abortion

Because he was a swing-vote in favor of abortion rights, Kennedy's departure from the court has sparked alarm among abortion rights activists that Roe v. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion nationwide in 1973, could be overturned. In addition, Trump has long vowed to appoint justices who would reverse Roe and allow states to determine whether abortion should be legal.

Kavanaugh has not expressed outright opposition to Roe v. Wade.

One of his opinions likely to draw scrutiny from senators is a his dissent from a ruling of the DC Circuit last October that an undocumented immigrant teen in detention was entitled to seek an abortion. In his dissent, Kavanaugh wrote the Supreme Court has held that "the government has permissible interests in favoring fetal life, protecting the best interests of a minor, and refraining from facilitating abortion."

He wrote that the high court has "held that the government may further those interests so long as it does not impose an undue burden on a woman seeking an abortion." He said the majority opinion was "based on a constitutional principle as novel as it is wrong: a new right for unlawful immigrant minors in US government detention to obtain immediate abortion on demand." He added, however, that "all parties to this case recognize Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey as precedents we must follow."

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline Applewood

Thanks for posting this.  I don't know.  Kavanaugh might turn out to be better than many of us expected.  I realize more than a few people here had their preferences and perhaps they are disappointed that their "guy" or "gal" wasn't picked.  Or they look at one or two of Kavanaugh's opinions and decided he wasn't perfect enough of a conservative.  I have my misgivings, but I'm willing to give the guy a chance.  Heck, he hasn't even been confirmed yet and that might be difficult because so many liberals in both parties already decided before he was even nominated that they weren't going to vote for his confirmation.  Let's just see how Kavanaugh does in the confirmation hearings before we start putting on the sackcloth and throwing ashes on our heads.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
People who believe R v W gets overturned need to temper their expectations of what that means.  If they’re expecting the total nationwide ban of abortion, they’ll be disappointed.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

People who believe R v W gets overturned need to temper their expectations of what that means.  If they’re expecting the total nationwide ban of abortion, they’ll be disappointed.

From what I hear, SCOTUS might throw it back to the states. Unfortunately, I don't believe too many states will outlaw abortion.  I'm sure mine won't.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
From what I hear, SCOTUS might throw it back to the states. Unfortunately, I don't believe too many states will outlaw abortion.  I'm sure mine won't.

That's how it was prior to Roe and that is the way it should be under our Constitution.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Applewood wrote:
"I realize more than a few people here had their preferences and perhaps they are disappointed that their "guy" or "gal" wasn't picked."

The Barrett gal wasn't going to be picked this time, even though she was on "the short list". She was just there "for show" -- THIS time.

I posted why this would happen several times, and no one took me seriously.
Except, perhaps, Mr. Trump. (heh)

He knows when it will be time to "use her"...
...when the first "female vacancy" opens up. That could be either Ginsburg or Sotomayor, as yet unknown.
This way, the cry "you misogynist Republicans are replacing a woman with a man!" argument will be rendered moot.
"A woman for a woman".
As simple as it gets.

Judge Kavanaugh seems ok.
If his judicial temperament falls into the realm between, say, Justice Alito and Justice Thomas, we'll do just fine.
I've read (just briefly) that's he VERY strong on the Second Amendment. That's going to be a BIG issue before the Court over the next two or three decades.

Abortion?
Doesn't matter.
He'll testify that he accepts "stare decisis" and that should be that.
I've gone on record in the forum before as to why Roe v. Wade isn't going to be thrown out, even by the most conservative Court one could imagine.
As the old Pogo comic strip once noted, "The Supreme Court follows the illiction returns...!"
And if Republicans want to keep winning elections, if they know what's good for them, they'll just leave that tar baby be.