Author Topic: A Worthy Pick  (Read 418 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

A Worthy Pick
« on: July 10, 2018, 11:58:09 am »
A Worthy Pick
National Review, Jul 9, 2018, The Editors

Judge Brett Kavanaugh, President Donald Trump’s new nominee for the Supreme Court, is a whip-smart legal conservative. As a judge in the highest-profile appeals court in the nation, he has shown an exemplary dedication to the rule of law. He has defended the separation of powers against threats coming from multiple directions. He has repeatedly cautioned his colleagues on the bench not to attempt to play a legislative role. He has also insisted on enforcing constitutional structures of accountability on government agencies. He has vindicated the right to free speech (against certain campaign-finance regulations), to bear arms (against the D.C. government’s attempts to implement sweeping bans), and to religious liberty (against a version of the Obama administration’s “contraceptive mandate”). And he has followed Supreme Court precedents even when gently suggesting they should be rethought.

His decisions have also been influential, with the Supreme Court repeatedly adopting his analysis and in one case running several block quotes from his opinion. Some conservatives have faulted the reasoning of a few of his opinions, but usually have not disagreed with the decisions he reached. His ruling on a challenge to Obamacare’s individual mandate is an exception to this rule — some conservatives do fault his decision — but even it has an asterisk. He would have dismissed the case on the ground that the courts did not yet have jurisdiction over it, in keeping with views he has long advocated. He did not bless the idea that the federal government could order people to buy a product, as the four most liberal members of the Supreme Court later would have done. Nor did he rewrite the text of Obamacare to uphold it, as Chief Justice John Roberts did.

More:  https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/brett-kavanaugh-worthy-pick-for-supreme-court/

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:58:49 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: A Worthy Pick
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 01:27:29 pm »
I think he will be just fine on SCOTUS!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:31:04 pm »
Compromise is a down payment on failure.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 01:45:20 pm »
I think he will be just fine on SCOTUS!

All I hope for anymore is that the replacement be an improvement, from a Constitutional standpoint.