Author Topic: Opioid stigma is keeping many cancer patients from getting the pain control they need  (Read 522 times)

Online mountaineer

Opioid stigma is keeping many cancer patients from getting the pain control they need
By Sara Ray and Kathleen Hoffman
July 6, 2018   
History is repeating itself. Twenty years ago, a pain management crisis existed. As many as 70 percent of cancer patients in treatment at that time, or in end-of-life care, experienced unalleviated pain. Identified as a major medical problem, poor pain management became synonymous with poor medical care. In fact, prescribing adequate pain medication became mandatory for hospital accreditation.

The medications used to treat moderate to severe pain among people with cancer are the same opioids helping fuel today’s opioid crisis. Though it has turned a much-needed spotlight on the overprescription of these medications, it is overshadowing their underprescription among people who really need them, especially those with cancer. Two-thirds of individuals with metastatic cancer and more than half of those being treated for cancer report experiencing chronic pain, and 1 in 3 cancer patients do not receive medication appropriate for the intensity of their pain.  ...

One individual wrote, “I have been made to feel like a criminal – from my doctor’s office…to the pharmacy worker who said very loudly to other patients in line that I was sure taking a lot of opioids. I was humiliated. I have been afraid to ask for pain relief as it seems like I am doing something wrong. During my cancer journey, I had to have a hysterectomy without pain relief…Hospitals feel they are opening the door to opiate abuses and my surgeon would not authorize pain medicine. I am terrified right now to ask for a refill on my pain medication.”

While the stigma from health care providers can affect cancer patients’ access to pain medications, it is the stigma from society that affects their use. Many writers indicated that they feared becoming addicts and worried about withdrawal symptoms. They also offered concerns about what use of high doses or multiple daily pain pills says about them.

These misperceptions aren’t alleviated by what patients are learning about opioids. Varied messaging about addiction and dependence from the media, government, and even health care providers seems to be leading to confusion and misunderstanding among cancer patients.  ...
Read entire article at Stat News
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline darroll

They want people to use pot. So many politicians own pot businesses.
This game is rigged too.

Offline goodwithagun

They want people to use pot. So many politicians own pot businesses.
This game is rigged too.

:amen:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online mountaineer

Sickle cell patients feel the effects of the opioid crackdown
By Allison Maass and Ryan Eskalis
3 Hours Ago

TUSKEGEE, Ala. (CIRCA) - As a child, running or jumping would usually land Yolanda McCall in the hospital because she suffers from sickle cell, a painful, hereditary disease she says she has had to learn to live with.

“I hurt. I’m not a junkie. I’m not a drug addict, but I need that medicine when I hurt because that’s my only relief," said McCall.

Millions of people around the world suffer from sickle cell disease (SCD), but in the United States, some SCD patients say the opioid epidemic and the health care industry’s crackdown on pain medication has restricted their access to pain relief.

“They don’t take our pain seriously enough when we enter into those emergency room for help," McCall said. “These people see us on a regular basis going in and out of there and know our story and still look at us like we’re coming in there to get high. I don’t need to get high off my medication. I need help.”

McCall said the opioid crisis has caused doctors to lower her pain medication dosage to an amount that does not relieve her pain. ... More at Circa

Offline Victoria33

“They don’t take our pain seriously enough when we enter into those emergency room for help," McCall said. “These people see us on a regular basis going in and out of there and know our story and still look at us like we’re coming in there to get high. I don’t need to get high off my medication. I need help.”

That is her problem, going to an emergency room for pain pills -that is where druggies go to try to get pills.  She needs to go to a doctor and be his patient and she will get the pills if she actually needs them after the doctor evaluation.

Online mountaineer

Good point!