Author Topic: A University for Non-Leftists (not what you'd think)  (Read 437 times)

Offline endicom

A University for Non-Leftists (not what you'd think)
« on: July 09, 2018, 03:21:42 pm »
National Review
Razib Khan
July 9, 2018

Professor Warren Treadgold has a radical proposal for higher-ed reform.
Warren Treadgold’s The University We Need: Reforming America’s Higher Education will offend, alarm, and concern its readers. In this it is like many recent critiques of academia. Where Treadgold differs is that he is bold enough to offer an original, if idiosyncratic, solution to the problems he sees.

His audacious proposal is that this nation needs another elite university to serve Americans who dissent from fashionable leftist politics and postmodern scholarly nihilism. An elite university where first-rate conservative, moderate, and heterodox scholars could gather to provide more traditionally inclined students a world-class education — and produce high-quality research that fosters genuine viewpoint diversity while being taken seriously by other academics.

Treadgold is a scholar of the Byzantine period who admits that his is an unfashionable speciality among modern historians. He has been a member of the professoriate for four decades, with appointments at high-profile institutions as well as less prestigious ones. Treadgold’s diverse experiences and unique viewpoint make him a trenchant observer of the general state of the modern academy, and one who can offer an unvarnished and brutal diagnosis of its various maladies. He has watched the humanities slide into disrepute and irrelevance, seen students flee the liberal arts in droves while professors transform their specialties into narrow sectarian campaigns.

More... https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/book-review-the-university-we-need-radical-proposal-for-higher-education/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: A University for Non-Leftists (not what you'd think)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 03:24:14 pm »
I'm all for it!  EXCELLENT idea that will take the country by storm if allowed to happen!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

Re: A University for Non-Leftists (not what you'd think)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 06:26:43 pm »
I'm all for it!  EXCELLENT idea that will take the country by storm if allowed to happen!

You can build a school from the ground up but you won't graduate your first students with regionally accredited degrees. That takes time.

There are a few schools that don't need regional accreditation, like this one:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockefeller_University