Author Topic: Blogger broke a cardinal rule of journalism by revealing source to FBI. Here's why  (Read 529 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It's pretty much an inviolable rule of journalism: Protect your sources.

Reporters have gone to jail to keep that covenant.

But Marcy Wheeler, who writes a well-regarded national security blog, not only revealed a source - she did so to the FBI, eventually becoming a witness in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of President Donald Trump's possible connections to Russia.

"On its face, I broke one of the cardinal rules of journalism, but what he was doing should cause a source to lose protection," Wheeler told me in a lengthy phone interview....

https://www.ctpost.com/opinion/article/Blogger-broke-a-cardinal-rule-of-journalism-by-13058228.php

Offline Victoria33

@Sanguine

I understand why she broke a journalism rule and contacted FBI about her source.
Psychologists/Licensed Professional Counselors/Psychological Examiners, also must go by the rule of not releasing information about a patient - EXCEPT in two cases:
1. If subpoenaed to court, one must divulge the information they have. 
2. If there is a present danger the patient will harm others, the mental health worker must notify law enforcement.

This journatlist must have thought the information she had presented a danger, so she contacted the FBI.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Why:
"that Russian interference in the 2016 election was a very real thing, and that Trump associates played a part."

So basically she sacrificed her "standards" to hopefully hurt a political party. No bias there.
Countdown to Resignation