Author Topic: Eating Gluten-Free Without a Medical Reason?  (Read 455 times)

rangerrebew

Eating Gluten-Free Without a Medical Reason?
« on: July 09, 2018, 01:04:38 pm »

Eating Gluten-Free Without a Medical Reason?

It won't help your heart and could even hurt it, researchers say

By Kathleen Doheny

HealthDay Reporter

TUESDAY, May 2, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- Eating "gluten-free" when there's no medical need to do so won't boost your heart health -- and might even harm it, a new study warns.

Gluten-free diets have soared in popularity in recent years. But, shunning gluten has no heart benefits for people without celiac disease, and it may mean consuming a diet lacking heart-healthy whole grains, according to the quarter-century study.

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/celiac-disease/news/20170502/eating-gluten-free-without-a-medical-reason#1

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Eating Gluten-Free Without a Medical Reason?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 01:23:04 pm »
I have a box of wheat gluten in my fridge that I add to flour when I bake.

The world has gone crazy with "gluten-free"

I even see "gluten free" labels on products that never had any of the "evil gluten". Like corn products.

Corn is from a different branch of the grain family than the gluten grains wheat, barley, and rye. Corn contains a substance known as "corn gluten," which sounds scary, but isn't the same gluten that bothers people with celiac or gluten sensitivity.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 01:30:49 pm »
I know a few people who have lived in extreme pain and even took some meds with nasty side effects to combat the issue. One turned to medical marijuana, and the other two went gluten free. The latter were told by their docs that there was no evidence that gluten free diet helped with pain. I often find it interesting how angry the med and pharm industry people get when patients take their health into their own hands and find relief.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 12:53:29 am »
I’ve been out of work but got a part time job at Panera Bread as a delivery driver. In between deliveries I work the dining room, mostly taking food to tables but also bussing tables, making coffee, filling the drink station with tea and lids, straws, etc., even washing dishes….

So a couple of weeks ago an order came up at the counter and the ticket for the customer who had ordered a salad, the ticket said “GLUTEN ALLERGY” in all caps, in which case the food prep person is supposed to change/don new gloves, same as they do with a nut allergy or any other allergy like to pineapple, but the side listed on the order was bread (when you order you are given a choice of a piece of baguette, a bag of potato chips or an apple, but if the customer doesn’t answer or orders at the kiosk and doesn’t specify, the default is the baguette).

Before I took the order to the table, I questioned it but my manager shrugged and said, “maybe they are going to take it home or give it to the person sitting with them”.

When I took the salad to the woman, before I could even ask her if she didn’t want the baguette, she freaked out and yelled at me that there was a piece of bread on the plate along with her bowl of salad, angrily saying, yelling, “I’m allergic to gluten!”

I apologized profusely picked up the bread and asked her if she wanted the chips or an apple. But that wasn’t enough, she insisted that I take everything back and have the salad re-made and with new utensils because the salad, even though the baguette was not touching the salad or the utensils, it had been on the same platter as the salad bowl and there was a tiny, and I mean a tiny single bread crumb on the platter and she also insisted I wipe the table with sanitizer before bringing her the new, freshly made, gluten free salad… (the salad and dressing was by default “gluten free”).

From the way she reacted, you would have thought I had brought her a plate of Novichok or radioactive waste. And when I took her new salad, utensils and apologized yet again, she told me I was an “idiot”.

I have a friend whose daughter has celiac disease and I know that is serious and the mom had to learn how to make dishes glutton free, even pasta dishes like lasagna, but her daughter wasn’t going to have a reaction from having one tiny piece of bread crumb, either from ingesting a single crumb or having it in proximity to her food. My friend told me the mostly went gluten free because it was easier than making her daughter a separate meal but her husband still liked his toast or a bagel for breakfast. Being in proximity to a bread crumb is not going to cause someone with celiac disease to have a reaction and supposed “gluten intolerance” isn’t going to either.

When I started working at Panera, one of my nieces asked me what Panera meant so I Googled it and means “Bread Bowl” in Spanish so Panera Bread can be translated as “Bread Bowl Bread”.

And when you walk into our café, there is a graphic in the lobby that says “It All Begins With Bread”.

So what person in their right mind who is supposedly so allergic to gluten that a single tiny bread crumb on their platter or on the table is going to give them a serious or deadly reaction, go to have lunch at a restaurant not only known for its bread but whose very name translates as “Bread Bowl Bread”.

SHM
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause