Author Topic: Senate's McConnell on mission to reshape the courts  (Read 810 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Senate's McConnell on mission to reshape the courts
« on: July 08, 2018, 05:25:46 am »
Who would have thought ... McConnell is actually leaving behind a legacy of reshaping the courts.  Who would have thought? He did hold strong on Garland.  Interesting indeed.

Senate's McConnell on mission to reshape the courts

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was upbeat the night after Justice Anthony Kennedy announced he was retiring from the Supreme Court.

The Kentucky Republican had already led the Senate in confirming more circuit court judges in the first year of Donald Trump's presidency than in that of any other president in history. Now McConnell had the chance to confirm a second Supreme Court justice, a thrilling prospect for his party.

More than any other accomplishment, including the passage of the GOP's tax cuts, the remaking of the judiciary is fast becoming the cornerstone of the Republican leader's legacy. It's something he's been working on for a long time.

"Well, I think it's a little too early to be talking about legacy," McConnell said with a smile as he left the Senate chamber.

"A year and a half ago, I said it was a top priority," he said about confirming judges, "and it remains so."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/senates-mcconnell-mission-reshape-courts-125700684--politics.html
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Senate's McConnell on mission to reshape the courts
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 05:50:49 am »
Also:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/07/us/politics/trump-mcconnell-supreme-court.html

McConnell Tries to Nudge Trump Toward Two Supreme Court Options (Kethledge and Hardiman)

NY Times

Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, told President Trump this past week that Judges Raymond M. Kethledge and Thomas M. Hardiman presented the fewest obvious obstacles to being confirmed to replace Justice Anthony M. Kennedy on the Supreme Court, according to Republican officials briefed on the conversation.

While careful not to directly make the case for any would-be justice, Mr. McConnell made clear in multiple phone calls with Mr. Trump and the White House counsel, Donald F. McGahn II, that the lengthy paper trail of another top contender, Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh, would pose difficulties for his confirmation. 

Just posting, the above does not mean it's necessarily true. Probably is though.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:51:58 am by TomSea »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 10:19:08 pm »
IF President Trump nominates a moderate he will lose a tremendous amount of credibility. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 10:25:34 pm »
IF President Trump nominates a moderate he will lose a tremendous amount of credibility. 

That all depends on whom you ask.  He will gain credibility with others. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 12:03:33 am »
Also:
Just posting, the above does not mean it's necessarily true. Probably is though.

Trump and McConnell would be foolish to not talk about it. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 12:31:50 am »
I'm for giving credit where credit is due.  The Democrats royally pissed off the Turtle, and he won't let go until it thunders.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 12:36:41 am »

It ought to be clear to Trump by now that staying the course he's on - sticking to conservative positions consider too 'extreme' by previous republican presidents - is far more likely to enhance his popularity with the hoi poloi than to kowtow to the middle.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 01:15:07 am »
It ought to be clear to Trump by now that staying the course he's on - sticking to conservative positions consider too 'extreme' by previous republican presidents - is far more likely to enhance his popularity with the hoi poloi than to kowtow to the middle.

I heartily concur!  100%
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 01:42:00 am »

@libertybele  I've noticed before that you seem leery about Trump's appointee.  He's insisted he will stick to 'the list' and I don't think he will renege on that.  I don't think you need to worry.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 01:44:23 am »
I'm for giving credit where credit is due.  The Democrats royally pissed off the Turtle, and he won't let go until it thunders.

A while back there was a huge turtle on the rocks at the shore and some clueless parents were letting their kids tease and torment it.  I was hoping that the turtle would bite ... not seriously but enough to teach the parents a lesson.

Don't tick off a turtle.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 09:32:02 am »

Exactly the message their base has been literally Screaming at them for decades. The 1st big bright ray of "WOW, they've Finally seen the Light" I saw was the day Trump told Priebus "You're Fired! Get Out!"
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com