Author Topic: Why conservatives should support Roe v. Wade  (Read 10172 times)

Offline goodwithagun

Re: Why conservatives should support Roe v. Wade
« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2018, 02:46:56 am »
My God, you not only argue for the patriarchy, but for a most nasty version of same.   I've seen this sort of true contempt for women expressed by radical Islamists,  but never by a confessed Christian.

You should be ashamed of yourself, sir.

Um, you’re arguing for the patriarchy. You support a decision made by nine wealthy white men. You should be ashamed of yourself, sir.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #176 on: July 10, 2018, 02:48:11 am »
Touché.

You’re good with more than a gun, @goodwithagun.

888high58888
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2018, 02:49:34 am »
Um, you’re arguing for the patriarchy. You support a decision made by nine wealthy white men. You should be ashamed of yourself, sir.

As I was saying @goodwithagun ...............
James 1:20

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #178 on: July 10, 2018, 03:01:46 am »
As I was saying @goodwithagun ...............

Both PPACT and Cecile Richards have banned me from seeing and posting to their Twitter accounts. Will those posting here who disagree block my comments from their feed?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #179 on: July 10, 2018, 03:09:04 am »
Both PPACT and Cecile Richards have banned me from seeing and posting to their Twitter accounts. Will those posting here who disagree block my comments from their feed?

I'm sure I don't understand that.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #180 on: July 10, 2018, 03:14:12 am »

To clarify, I mean those who disagree with my prolife stance. It’s been a long day and number one has a 101* temp. (To myself while massaging my temples) It’s a marathon, not a sprint . . . lather, rinse, repeat.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2018, 03:14:26 am »

Well if you don't understand that, maybe you will understand this.......because I don't....

! No longer available

Online roamer_1

« Reply #182 on: July 10, 2018, 03:14:33 am »
And even in Western culture and common law up until the late 19th and early 20th century, a baby was not considered a separate human until the “quickening” which typically occurs around the 18th to 20th week. Causing a woman to miscarry or to abort was not a prosecutable offense until the quickening.

@Neverdul
That is in fact, not true - Prosecutions were rare prior to quickening, but not nonexistent. And the reason it was seldom prosecuted is because determining pregnancy prior to the quickening was not so easy to do. The state of medicine could not support the legal fact. The mother might or might not be pregnant until her own witness of the child moving within...

Exactly right, @Neverdul.  And abortion wasn't rare.

That, @Suppressed , is an argument from silence. Colonial records are spotty at best. But if we are going to determine things upon such shoddy numbers, consider mine, like in kind:

In American Colonial times, it was known by the euphemism of "taking the trade," which is why many might not have realized how common it was.   

An euphemism directly associated with 'the Craft'. While witches were always available, and often engaged in midwifery, Proper medicine railed against encouraging abortion, and in some accounts both in medical circles and in law, the teaching of the use of abortificants were directly prohibited.

Home medical guides described how to use common home herbs to do it, and it was perfectly legal prior to the quickening.  In the 19th century, social acceptance was on the decline, but abortifacients were advertised openly -- and their use was ever increasing throughout the century.

First, the primary means of dealing with out-of-wedlock children was overwhelmingly marriage, or in the case of a married man upon an unmarried woman, a stipend (child support) was ordered to care for the child either until the woman married, or the child reached the age of apprenticeship (was taken on as an apprentice, generally around early teen), or until the child reached the age of majority.

In the second place, by far and away (never less than 3/4ths), the normal institution, marriage then children, was the norm, and in out of wedlock cases otherwise, by far and away, the next solution was marriage after the fact (or support for the child if the man was already married).

And the last safety net, the girl was sent away, either to a distant relative, or various 'young women's houses' (normally a church function) wherein the child was delivered and offered up in adoption.

In the rare cases outside of those means, again, by far and away, the pregnancy was hidden, and infanticide performed after the fact. Only then do we start to address abortificents or abortion by mechanical means.

And the reason for that is plain: The primary abortificents used at the time, sevin and tansy, are horrifically poisonous. The woman was just as likely to die as the child. Secondary abortificents like wormwood and rue, were even more likely to cause death by poison. The other means, herb packings, primarily worked by causing massive infection. Slippery elm is one such, a stick inserted directly into the womb, and left there for days... causing infection that would certainly kill the child, and likely kill the mother, or leave her barren.

Your flippant post neglects the truth of it.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #183 on: July 10, 2018, 03:18:35 am »
Well if you don't understand that, maybe you will understand this.......because I don't....

! No longer available

Hey you! Butt out! We were having a perfectly fine thread degeneration until you showed up!  :silly:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #184 on: July 10, 2018, 03:18:50 am »
To clarify, I mean those who disagree with my prolife stance. It’s been a long day and number one has a 101* temp. (To myself while massaging my temples) It’s a marathon, not a sprint . . . lather, rinse, repeat.

I see now.  I don't disagree with your prolife stance, so I can't help on the Twitter end.

Just a summer cold with #1?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #185 on: July 10, 2018, 03:21:11 am »
Hey you! Butt out! We were having a perfectly fine thread degeneration until you showed up!  :silly:

You amateurs were taking too long to send this thread off the rails. Move aside for the professionals.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #186 on: July 10, 2018, 03:21:27 am »

! No longer available

No, I don't, Frank, but it's very catchy. 

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #187 on: July 10, 2018, 03:22:42 am »
I see now.  I don't disagree with your prolife stance, so I can't help on the Twitter end.

Just a summer cold with #1?

He gets a random temp spike about once every six weeks. Who knows  :shrug: My point about Twitter is that those blocking me agree with those here about babies.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:25:23 am by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2018, 03:22:56 am »
@Jazzhead

@INVAR is simply saying that if women legally have unilateral choice, then they should also legally have unilateral accountability.

He knows what I said and why.

He just pretends feigned outrage so as to obscure the stupidity of his woman's choice/pro-murder/men have no say/ position on this subject.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2018, 03:23:50 am »
You amateurs were taking too long to send this thread off the rails. Move aside for the professionals.

Do your worst. If it’s as bad as that vid, we’re doomed. Your ex hired a really shady producer.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2018, 03:25:46 am »

Long story short, if a doc told me it’s me or my baby, I know what choice I’d make.

BRAVA! And that I think, is the most atrocious effect this scurrilous business has had upon women. There was a time, not so very long ago, when a woman would without a doubt, choose the life of her child over her own. It has oft been portrayed as the most noble act a woman could perform.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2018, 03:28:16 am »
I would just like to state for the record that I am absolutely not Pro-Life. I actually despise people who are.

First off, it's a terrible cereal. Secondly Mikey was one of the most annoying ad concepts next to New Coke.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2018, 03:31:21 am »
I would just like to state for the record that I am absolutely not Pro-Life. I actually despise people who are.

First off, it's a terrible cereal. Secondly Mikey was one of the most annoying ad concepts next to New Coke.

You hate everything.
James 1:20

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #193 on: July 10, 2018, 03:32:38 am »
What in the Rochester? 10¢ off a box?! That’s 🐂  💩.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:33:30 am by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2018, 03:35:30 am »
What in the Rochester? 10¢ off a box?! That’s 🐂  💩.

Yeah, but if you factor in inflation since 1978 that's about $138 dollars today.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #195 on: July 10, 2018, 03:37:05 am »
Yeah, but if you factor in inflation since 1978 that's about $138 dollars today.

I can feel my wallet getting heavier.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #196 on: July 10, 2018, 03:54:17 am »
I can feel my wallet getting heavier.

That's why when I clip coupons I don't use them right away. I put them in a locked box for 10 or 15 years and then use them to take advantage of the inflation rates. The company actually payed me when I used coupons on some WWE Ice Cream bars....

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #197 on: July 10, 2018, 04:04:48 am »
The ice cream bars had been in the store freezer for 15+ years?!?!  Yuck!  :2barf:  As Ocean... would say, I don't think they were "viable" any more!

Are we officially "off the rails" far enough yet?    :shrug:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #198 on: July 10, 2018, 04:10:45 am »
The ice cream bars had been in the store freezer for 15+ years?!?!  Yuck!  :2barf:  As Ocean... would say, I don't think they were "viable" any more!

Are we officially "off the rails" far enough yet?    :shrug:

I don't know what you are talking about. I got them at a nice quite....very quite bodega up in Love Canal New York. Loads of parking and there weren't too many people there to bug me while I shopped.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #199 on: July 10, 2018, 05:08:34 am »
You hate everything.

That's not true.  He only slightly dislikes me.