Author Topic: Prof claims Hispanic students perpetuate 'colorblind racism'  (Read 514 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Campus Reform by Toni Airaksinen 7/3/2018

A Michigan State University sociology professor claims that the "abstract liberalism" of many Latino and Latina college students serves to reinforce "colorblind racism."

Maria Isabel Ayala interviewed 50 Latino(a) students at Midwestern University, and was dismayed to find that they attribute their success to hard work and self-reliance while shunning affirmative action.

A professor at Michigan State University is alleging that Latino students perpetuate “colorblind racism” due to their commitment to meritocracy and free market values.

Sociology professor Maria Isabel Ayala made the argument in a recent study published by the Journal of Latinos and Education, having received $25,000 from the school to conduct the research.

Ayala interviewed 50 Latino(a) students at Midwestern University—27 women and 23 men—to probe how they explained their academic success, discovering to her dismay that many students expressed credence in both “colorblind racism” and “abstract liberalism” while shunning affirmative action policies in support of the “free market, meritocracy, and laissez-faire ideology.”

For example, when asked to describe her success in college, a dark-skinned Latina named Carla responded that “everyone is equal and we all have the same experiences...I have [worked hard] and I deserve it.”

Sebastian, a student who is described as a “medium-skinned” Latino, also reflected on his academic achievements and failures, telling Ayala that “I guess all the mistakes have been just me...I am self-reliant.”

A student named Eduardo, meanwhile, reportedly said “I am disadvantaged, and I am very aware of that but that is not a bad thing, I just have to work harder.”

More: https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=11091

Offline dfwgator

Re: Prof claims Hispanic students perpetuate 'colorblind racism'
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:03:12 pm »
 :facepalm2:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 01:04:30 am »
So this idiot professor is saying Hispanic students working hard to get a degree is a bad thing? Is she really saying that because they're Hispanic ( and inferior), they need AA?
The mind of a leftist professor is a very weird, dark place.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 01:32:26 am »
goat wrote:
"So this idiot professor is saying Hispanic students working hard to get a degree is a bad thing? Is she really saying that because they're Hispanic ( and inferior), they need AA?"

Yup.
What's really bugging the prof is that these young Hispanics are "actin' white".
And will get ahead because of it!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 07:55:58 am »
Colorblind racism is when your leftist overlords tell you even where no racism exists there is racism, because they say so.

Always gotta have that straw bogeyman to prop up.
The Republic is lost.

Oceander