Author Topic: Kilauea’s spectacular pyrotechnics show no signs of stopping  (Read 718 times)

rangerrebew

Kilauea’s spectacular pyrotechnics show no signs of stopping
From lavanadoes to laze and vog, the ongoing eruption is a refresher in volcanic vocabulary
By
Carolyn Gramling
10:46am, July 6, 2018

July 4th fireworks have nothing on Kilauea.

As the Hawaiian volcano’s latest outburst enters its third month, scientists are still watching Kilauea 24/7. Such constant monitoring not only provides danger warnings aimed at keeping those nearby safe, but it also offers remote viewers the rare opportunity to observe the evolution of an eruption in real time. 

As magma within Kilauea’s summit crater, called Halemaumau, continues to drain and move toward the lower east rift zone, the crater floor is becoming increasingly unstable. The U.S. Geological Service has observed frequent rockfalls into the crater since mid-May; each collapse triggers a small explosion. One of the largest explosions happened June 30, when a collapse-explosion cycle released energy equivalent to a magnitude 5.3 earthquake.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/kilauea-volcano-pyrotechnics-lava-no-signs-stopping?tgt=nr

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Kilauea’s spectacular pyrotechnics show no signs of stopping
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 10:55:19 pm »
Good pics and video at the source article...!

Offline rustynail

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 11:18:30 pm »
Good article.  Liked those lava boats.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 12:04:11 am »
Great shot of Pele's Hair.

That stuff persists for years, lining the tiny crevices in the flows of hardened Pahoehoe.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 08:39:00 pm »
Great shot of Pele's Hair.

I wish I could get out there and collect a bunch.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn