Author Topic: Trump: My Responsibility ‘Is To Select a Justice Who Will Faithfully Interpret the Constitution as W  (Read 7017 times)

Online corbe

Trump seems to defer to McConnell on this kind of stuff, AL Senate race being a recent example, and that means we get a squishy that will get the confirmation votes. JMO
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
   Trump seems to defer to McConnell on this kind of stuff, AL Senate race being a recent example, and that means we get a squishy that will get the confirmation votes. JMO

That's my fear, too.  NO MORE SQUISHES!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I so want to smack you around for this statement  ****slapping , but the cute kid stops me.   Please change your damn avatar @edpc

Nope.  It's my shield, like Martin Sheen in The Dead Zone.    :tongue2:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:06:54 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online corbe

Understand @edpc for awhile no one attacked me because they thought I was a pretty woman, sadly the bloom is off that rose.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

Somehow, I don't see that happening.

If they do this right, they'll have power to replace this sad sack too before 2024.

If they screw it up, . . . . . it'll cost them the seats needed to do Anything except get impeached.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
It's been one moral and civil victory after another. I think Bachmann was correct when she said God would raise up leaders. If one doesn't like these victories, one must not be conservative.  And even then, one is fighting tooth and nail against the Democrats who want open borders, gun control, more government, etc.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I still to this day believe that someone in Obama admin blackmailed Roberts for some of those unexpected decisions.

Absolutely agree.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jpsb

That's my fear, too.  NO MORE SQUISHES!

We will see, BTW do you think Neil Gorsuch is squishy? Why? If Trump picks Barrett or Kavanugh he
is definitely not going for squishy.

Offline jpsb

Understand @edpc for awhile no one attacked me because they thought I was a pretty woman, sadly the bloom is off that rose.

I don't get attacked cause Daffy Duck is a bad ass.

Offline skeeter

I don't get attacked cause Daffy Duck is a bad ass.

Or its because of our love of succotash.

Online corbe

We will see, BTW do you think Neil Gorsuch is squishy? Why? If Trump picks Barrett or Kavanugh he

I'd still give Gorsuch the benefit of the doubt with the disclaimer, it's still early.  Since Lee's obviously out of the race anybody but Barrett is a compromise to peel off a few dem Senators, IMHO.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

There just isn't enough experience with Gorsuch to tell so far.   Going back to Roberts, he seemed great until he got the one big, historical case, and he screwed it up.  I sure hope Gorsuch is what we hope he is.

Offline jpsb

I'd still give Gorsuch the benefit of the doubt with the disclaimer, it's still early. 

OK,

Since Lee's obviously out of the race anybody but Barrett is a compromise to peel off a few dem Senators, IMHO.

Well I can see where you are coming from, but I am not sure you are correct. I think Barrett has the best chance of being confirmed. I've made that arguement here so I won't repeat myself unless you ask me to.

Offline jpsb

There just isn't enough experience with Gorsuch to tell so far.   Going back to Roberts, he seemed great until he got the one big, historical case, and he screwed it up.  I sure hope Gorsuch is what we hope he is.

OK, understood.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Gorsuch is being praised across the spectrum from Conservatives, I'll go with that. There's no time to wait and see.

Online corbe

I've read your insightful posts on this matter @jpsb and we are in agreement more often than not.   
   For those of you that think Trump lives in my head 'rent free', why not, I ask?
   I'm not using the space and it certainly cuts down on the 'white noise'.

Offline edpc

Going back to Roberts, he seemed great until he got the one big, historical case, and he screwed it up.

Don’t be surprised if it happened again, should a Roe v Wade challenge get to SCOTUS after this appointment.  He went on and on about his beliefs in stare decisis during his confirmation.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:56:25 pm by edpc »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
   I'd still give Gorsuch the benefit of the doubt with the disclaimer, it's still early.  Since Lee's obviously out of the race anybody but Barrett is a compromise to peel off a few dem Senators, IMHO.

Barrett is from Indiana;  it would be politically difficult for Sen. Donnelly to vote against her.  But Barrett likely loses Collins and Murkowski.   

I don't see how any of the four represents a "compromise".   All are solid Constitutional conservatives; that's not to say, however, that confirmability isn't a factor.   Hopefully,  Trump's folks have met with each of Collins,  Murkowski,  Flake and Paul (the four Republicans most likely to be mavericks)  and vetted each of the final four with them. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Don’t be surprised if it happened again, should a Roe v Wade challenge gets to SCOTUS after this appointment.  He went on and on about his beliefs in stare decisis during his confirmation.

Roberts won't vote to overturn Roe v. Wade.   Count on it.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Suppressed

Don’t be surprised if it happened again, should a Roe v Wade challenge get to SCOTUS after this appointment.  He went on and on about his beliefs in stare decisis during his confirmation.

See Carpenter v. United States.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Barrett is from Indiana;  it would be politically difficult for Sen. Donnelly to vote against her.  But Barrett likely loses Collins and Murkowski.   

I don't see how any of the four represents a "compromise".   All are solid Constitutional conservatives; that's not to say, however, that confirmability isn't a factor.   Hopefully,  Trump's folks have met with each of Collins,  Murkowski,  Flake and Paul (the four Republicans most likely to be mavericks)  and vetted each of the final four with them.

IMO, more a half-dozen Dems will vote for the nominee. 

After all, with all this crap, there has to be a pony in there somewhere.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline edpc

See Carpenter v. United States.

That case has nowhere near the standing or divisiveness in our society, compared to Roe.  That’s what will sway it most, like it or not.

Offline jpsb

@code what the hell, I'll make a condensed version of the case for Barrett.

I am not so sure Barrett loses Murkowski. Murkowski has said Roe is only part of her decision
making process. Collins on the other hand appears to be single issue. Voting against Barrett is
risky for Senators in states where Trump is popular. Rats will have to be very careful in their
attacks on the attractive mother of seven with a stellar resume. If it get ugly (and it will) the push
back could be huge. And if things are in doubt fly McCain in for one last aye vote. 

Barrett makes a very hard target. Attractive, super smart, highly qualified and very personable.
She will be viewed sympathetically by most voters. Particularly women voters.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 05:13:45 pm by jpsb »

Offline jpsb

Roberts won't vote to overturn Roe v. Wade.   Count on it.

agreed, he'll try like hell not to even take a RvW case.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

I hope he is too...but he whiffed on the immigration case he sided with the liberal side of the bench on earlier this year.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!